• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reviving an old Optima?

matt w

Bronco Guru
Has anyone had luck with reviving the older Optima batteries? Mine is about 15 years old or so. Thanks

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have one almost as old and it is slowly making its way towards the curb! It still starts the truck and holds a charge for about 2 weeks. Much longer then that and it is a rough time.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have one almost as old and it is slowly making its way towards the curb! It still starts the truck and holds a charge for about 2 weeks. Much longer then that and it is a rough time.

Ya I had it tested about 2 weeks ago (since I know nothing about it-heh heh) I was told it is not it good shape! I did not want to get stranded so I just bought a new gel cell interstate and oh my gosh!;D I can't believe what I put up with for the past 3 years:eek:%). LIKE WOW it's a new truck when it starts.;D

I will say I got my money's worth out of that old optima. I was just wondering about it before I went to get my 18.00 core charge back.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine is 16+ years old. Red top.
Battery Tender has kept mine alive.
I did go with new dual Optimas recently. Didn't seem to make sense to continue relying on any 16 year old battery.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
15 years, time for a new one. The old ones were good, but not that good.

You gotta admit they were some pretty GREAT batteries!

;D I would pay 200 plus for a new one "IF" they were made the same way!

Sadly I did not buy another because of all I have heard about them the last 5 or so years...too bad.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I took a couple Optima's down to the local retailer recently. They do a low amp slow charge which takes 24. Hours. One of mine passed..while the other didn't......The KICKER IS JUST HOW MUCH THEY HAVE RISEN.....SINCE BUYING THEM.....
.STICKER SHOCK.....STARTS WITH OPTIMA BATTERIES...!!!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had an old Optima Red top last about 12 years, but at that point you're living on borrowed time. The chemical conversion process occurring inside a lead-acid battery is not 100% efficient, so neither is their life. If it was only a few years old and not holding a charge, then it could be a different story (sulfating for example), and then there might be something you can do about it, but old is old. Send it back to battery heaven and move on with your life.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
My '94 Bronco still has a red top in it from when I bought the truck in 2003. Still fires up every winter. Who knows how long it was in there before I got it? I've never had a battery that good before.

OptimaJim

I'm glad to hear so many of you have had good experiences with our products. Matt, the quality of our batteries has actually improved over the last 15 years. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us under warranty now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. The price of batteries in general has risen significantly over the last 15 years, but not nearly as much as the price of lead during that same time.

If someone is concerned about the health of their battery, they can have it load-tested at just about any auto parts store (many will do it for free). However, I would encourage you to first attempt to fully-charge the battery (about 12.6-12.8 volts for RedTops and about 13.0-13.2 volts for YellowTops), as load-testing a discharged battery will always result in a failed test.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Nice to see an online presence from Optima.

I've had decent luck with Optimas over the years, and I'm due for a new battery for my Bronco, but I'm just having hard time pulling the trigger due to prices....uggg.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Nice to see an online presence from Optima.

I've had decent luck with Optimas over the years, and I'm due for a new battery for my Bronco, but I'm just having hard time pulling the trigger due to prices....uggg.

I felt the same way. But when I looked at how expensive a really good alternative (Interstate or Bosch or Deka or etc...) was ($129) it made the Optima $189 not sound so expensive.
I've also never had a regular battery last anywhere near as long as Optimas. So for me they are money well spent. I am presently running dual Optimas.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I nursed my old Optima Red top along far longer than I expected it to live, 8 years or so in three different Broncos. I finally broke down and replaced it just this afternoon.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
My Red Top is Ten Years old. And did need a slow charge but it seems good. The thing sits most of the time, AT 10...I am debating birthday gifts....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My first red top lasted 10 + years and when it failed I got another and then I also bought another red top for my daily driver. those 2 red tops failed right at 6 years for both of them. 6 years almost exactly on one and 6 years and one month on the other just like there was a timer on them. They both were replaced with red tops again last winter so well see if the new ones are better.
Ive spent alot of money on red tops.