• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rivet nut grip range (what to get).

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am going to install some braces from my windshield to my cage. I did not have them when I built my cage (I was going another route and changed my mind). I have the cage painted and installed, would like to use rivet nuts so I don't get weld spatter everywhere. My cage is .120" wall thick, the nuts come in a different ranges .125-.186. is what I was thinking with the curve of the tube that might work out, not sure.
Any thoughts on these?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I forgot to add that I could tig weld them but my Bronco is in a different shop and my machine is not portable. That is why I am thinking about using the rivet nuts.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Steve. I have used a few of them and will use more including windshield for braces. I have a kit of various sizes and I think the label includes grip range. I will check tomorrow. I put some in firewall already for Ecm box. I squeezed the crap out of them, backed out the threaded pull stud a bit and squeezed some more.

As long as they not getting on and off radial forces I think they are pretty robust

Hank

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Hank,
Thanks for the reply! The ones I am looking at have 3 different grip ranges so thats what I was worried about. I figured being .120 wall with a .120 range on the high end was going to be to short. The next size up is .125 to .186 so I figured that would work but I have never used them in pipe. I had the same thought on the stress, I figured in that situation it should be fine.
Thanks for looking, I am curious to see what you find. I don't know if it matters but the ones I am looking at using are for 5/16 - 24 thread.

Thank you Sir!

Steve

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I could use 5/16-18 as well. They are easier to come by after searching a little further.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Those are the same kind we used back in the late 70's to install roof racks and mirrors in the truck plant. Ken

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could spotface counterbore the tube and then run the .120" upper limit grip size, and probably have a more stable rivet nut. On a tube surface, especially a relatively small diameter tube like that used for a cage, I would be worried about the nut working loose over time due to loading against the unsupported underhead/flange surfaces.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
use loctite on the insert to the tube and antisieze on the bolt you put in the insert. Once you spin an insert they are no fun to play with any more.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Hank, thanks for the link, I will check it out!

Bronkenn, Nice to hear a track record on a product, I hate buying stuff that does not work.

Apogee, I had no considered that, makes good sense, I was not thinking about that spot being a problem.

73azbronco, Thanks for the link and info. Always good to hear ideas on other uses for stuff. I have used these at work for different applications on vehicle and had good luck. I will check out that link as well.

Rustytruck, Great idea! I will be doing that for sure.

I will say that if it messes with me in the future I am going to take them out and tig weld some threaded bungs in. If my Bronco was mobile I would do it now. I need to get the windshield braces in to get it finished now so I will see how they work.

Thanks for the help, always appreciated!
Have a good one!