• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saw Big Oly replica and another race Bronco in Mexicali

OsideDave

I was leaving Mexicali last thursday for work and on my way to Yuma and while driving thru town I saw a Big Oly replica and another red desert racing style Bronco sitting together on a large flatbed trailer being towed by a Dodge dually with CO plates. It was parked a hotel. I left a note on the windshield of the Dodge. I do a little desert racing on a motorcycle so I figured it would be cool to meet up at the next race.

Anyone on here or anyone perhaps them? I bet Todd Z knows them.

Also, it was like 112F that day so I am wondering what they were doing in Mexicali. Kinda looked like they may have been testing em out. Both were dusty and had spare tires, etc.. with em.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I would be suprised if Toddz doesn't know them. Anyone catch the article in the second or third page of (I think) pertersons 4wheel and offroad magazine. It was article on an old race bronco that was being run like in the old days, open helmets even! Article was attributed to Toddz.

Way to go there Todd!

Ben

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Both those rigs competed in the NORRA 1000 held some months ago and the Big Oly replica had engine problems and didn't finish, but the red one did. Amazing the detail on the Big Oly from the wing to the custom rear quarters and all the original hard to find stickers in the right places on the rig.

They may be back down to do more testing for future races. Seems hot to go to baja just to explore baja, but as long as you stay close to either coast to cool off, it's all good.

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

Yeah, the details body wise on the Big Oly rig were pretty close to exact - although I have never seen Big Oly in person. It was 4x4 with leaf spring rear suspension and bronco frame unlike the original. Both Broncs were really cool to check out.

I believe there was a RECORD race recently but that was a few weeks ago so still not sure other than testing why they would be there at those temps. Even San Felipe is at 100+ right now. I will be going down the pacific side from Ensenada to San Quintin soon on motorcycles but we hug the coast and rarely get more than 20 miles inland on the ride so temps aren't too bad.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Both those rigs competed in the NORRA 1000 held some months ago and the Big Oly replica had engine problems and didn't finish, but the red one did. Amazing the detail on the Big Oly from the wing to the custom rear quarters and all the original hard to find stickers in the right places on the rig.

They may be back down to do more testing for future races. Seems hot to go to baja just to explore baja, but as long as you stay close to either coast to cool off, it's all good.

Greg pretty summarized everything I know about them. The detail on the Oly replica, as Greg noted, was amazing. I didn't get to talk or spend much time with any of the other Bronco teams at the event. Unfortunate, but pretty much the way these things go when you're spread out so far each day.

I saw Greg a lot though! :)

Todd Z.