• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Securing rear axleshafts for trail repair.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I asked a while back about the best donor for a 31 spline 3rd for a trail spare and came to the same conclusion a lot of other folks did; a spare 3rd on the trail is just too heavy.

So let's say I have somehow destroyed my 3rd to the point where it must come out on the trail in order to make the vehicle mobile. I want to find a way to secure the two axleshafts so they do not wobble, due to lack of support from the 3rd, while exiting the trails as they willdestroy the housing (bearing area).

Worst case, I have to assume the splines on one or both the axleshafts are damaged so keeping a cheap mini-spool on hand is not gonna cover me. Further, I have way too much faith in my Yukon 31 spline shafts so I don't carry spare rear shafts anymore.

Someone in the past mentioned using a piece of pipe to sleeve over the two axleshafts. This will not be perfect, but I think it will be enough to prevent the wobble.

I wonder if this would be feasible to limp home like this?

Thoughts?

Can someone tell me what the length is from the center of the axle housing to the inboard sides of the axle tube seals?

Thx. :cool:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pulling the pinion gear and pinion support would allow the ring gear to spin on it bearings. Other wise pulling the carrier you could use a short tube with a couple of roll pins through it between the ends of the axle shaft so the tube couldn't walk back and forth.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Although I never used it...
When I did the front disk brake conversion I took the old spindles and hubs (knocked off the drums) and made a swing out spare tire carrier. The bumper hinge parts couldn't be used for a trail repair, but the tire holder part could. I ground off the indexing shoulder and drilled a few extra holes in the spindle that should line up with the bearing retainer bolt pattern. In theory I could pull an axle and bolt a spindle on to limp out.

Realisticly a good aftermarket differential won't fail to the point axles will flop around. Shaft breakage or ring and pinion failure will be the weak links. If an axle it isn't a problem of the 3rd member. If the gears go, that could lock to the point of not letting you move. Simple (messy) trail side fix of tearing the rear end apart, pull the ring gear, put the chunk back in and it will coast. I know people who do this with pickup bed trailers for less drag while towing.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So in a situation where my grizzly locker shells out and destroys my R+P and shears one or both shafts and cracks the 3rd housing at pinion support (worst case scenario from hell). This is similar to an event I recently witnessed and it even broke the bearing caps on the carrier.

Do you see any way of getting out without completely removing 3rd and still having axles supported?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why not just carry a nine inch housing with an open carrier in it, leave out the pinion support assembly and the ring gear. You could do am lot of grinding on it to reduce the weight further since it's just along for the ride and to keep the axles lined up. I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
So in a situation where my grizzly locker shells out and destroys my R+P and shears one or both shafts and cracks the 3rd housing at pinion support (worst case scenario from hell). This is similar to an event I recently witnessed and it even broke the bearing caps on the carrier.

Do you see any way of getting out without completely removing 3rd and still having axles supported?

You'll have to go to a full floater. Warn use to make them but doesn't any more. Once you start talking breaking axle shafts they either break behind the splines or at the outside of the wheel flange. To cover worst case repairs you have to carry so much stuff your going to have failures due to the added weight of spare parts and tools to replace them.
Best to carry Auto Club with helicopter endorsement.;)

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I have AAA platinum. The helo option was out of my price range.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

At that point you should start thinking to yourself that it is time to get a bigger axle. Not worry so much about the one axle that isn't broken yet or the housing that is probably warped.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
At that point you should start thinking to yourself that it is time to get a bigger axle. Not worry so much about the one axle that isn't broken yet or the housing that is probably warped.
Agreed. Unfortunately, bigger axles are a bandage for my lack of talent to traverse the rocks without breaking. Perhaps the solution is to acquire more skill. ;-)