• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seized heater hose fitting

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a stuck aluminum (I think) heater hose fitting in an aluminum intake. Small 6" pipe wrench didn't budge it. Sprayed some penetrating oil on it yesterday and let it sit. Worried about collapsing the fitting because it's hollow. Any tips before I give it another try today? Thank you in advance. Howard in beautiful west Michigan 20230413_100339.jpg

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Drop in a solid round object like a bolt that is about the same OD as the ID of the fitting to keep it from completely collapsing, and get a bigger wrench. And once you get it out, make sure you use Teflon tape or fitting paste on the new fitting. Like Steve said, use a brass or steel replacement fitting.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
1. Remove the distributor. It’s in the way.
2. Take a cut off wheel, and slice off the hose barb until you get to the fat part of the fitting.
3. Do what everyone else has said, and drive a mild steel dowel or bolt into the fitting.
4. Put a pipe wrench on the fitting and turn it 1/4 turn. If it feels good, (9/10 will come loose) and gets looser…keep going. If NOT, and it feels like it is seizing…
5. Remove the dowel, and cut off the fitting flush with the manifold.
6. Drill the fitting with a tap drill.
7. Re-thread the manifold bung with a pipe tap.

That’s what I would do.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of good ideas, thank you! On my way now to have second go-round with it. Removing the dizzy is probably a real good idea, as I have to get some oil to the topside anyway. Thanks.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Glad you got it out. Hopefully you used anti-seize on those stainless bolts holding the thermostat housing to the aluminum intake.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hopefully you used anti-seize on those stainless bolts holding the thermostat housing to the aluminum intake.
Aw, heck. Out of the frying pan, into the fire..... I'll get after that today. Thank you very much for calling my attention to that.