• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Single plane vs dual plane with TBI

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Single plane manifolds have a higher RPM operating range than dual plane, so using a dual plane always made sense for rock crawling since "most" people are light on the throttle and want torque at low RPM, plus you want to line up with your camshaft. Was reading on Holley's forum that a lot of people have found that single plane manifolds work much better with the throttle body injection overall, such as idle, low end, wide open etc.

Curious what some of you think of that? Could a single plane work better on a rock crawler at low RPM with throttle body injection? Has anybody used both and have experience?

Main reason I'm asking is because I have both manifolds, been using the dual plane. Don't need any practice changing manifolds if this is not a swap that would make and difference for the better.

Lohman

Don't know if this means anything but the Chevy 305 & 350's with tbi that I have worked on were single plane manifolds. These were stock engines with stock manifolds.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I heard, many years ago, that a single plane manifold will starve some cylinders at low rpms. Interesting about the stock GM running singles.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Im looking for a 400 intake that is single plane. Something like a torquer but they dont make them any more. Im going to give this a try

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im looking for a 400 intake that is single plane. Something like a torquer but they dont make them any more. Im going to give this a try

Holley Street Dominator, there is one on ebay.

Lohman

Edelbrock used to make a manifold called Streetmaster. It was a single plane with small runners. I had one on a 351 in my 75 Bronco. It had plenty of low end torque. I still have the manifold and might just use it with something like fi-tech.