• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Snow wheel/tire package

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at 235/85 r16 (32/9.5r16) tires (3 peaks/studded) for my cleated chains.
Regarding wheels- is it better to have steel wheels? If so I was gonna have Stockton wheel build me a set.
Or is there an aluminum wheel that is better than steel wheels?
-Is there a particular style of wheel to keep snow away from the spindle/brakes?
Thank you in advance

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just called Stockton Wheel (attempted) and they closed last year.
Anyone know where to find 16x 8.5 steel wheels?

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Looking at 235/85 r16 (32/9.5r16) tires (3 peaks/studded) for my cleated chains.
Regarding wheels- is it better to have steel wheels? If so I was gonna have Stockton wheel build me a set.
Or is there an aluminum wheel that is better than steel wheels?
-Is there a particular style of wheel to keep snow away from the spindle/brakes?
Thank you in advance
Hey Italians,
I push ruffle 7’ of snow and about an 1/8 of mile not to mention push outs to keep from getting closed in, you might want a blower unless you already have one, I don’t care what wheel you have snow will end up everywhere, it can’t be helped. If you plan on earning $ just don’t get packed in, snow turns into concrete when you slam the bank, ive been there😝
I would stick with you stock steelys unless you just want to spend money then buy what ever.
A good snow pusher keep most of the snow off his rig!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm assuming you are running 8 lug hubs requiring at least a 16" rim?
8.5" rims seem a bit wide for a 235, 255 would be a better fit on a rim that wide.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I think your plow width is more important for keeping snow away from your brakes, etc. I've run a couple different width plows over the years and my wider ones do a much better job keeping snow away from the truck.
Most my snow tires are on steel wheels which I prefer. Less bead leaks and pitting from the mag chloride they use on our roads. Steel will rust but is easy to clean and paint up before putting them away for the summer. I use chains as needed with no issues. Big fan of cam lock.

If you are going to custom rims have you priced 17" to 16" tires and choices? Been some good threads here talking about off sets etc and turning clearances. Not knowing what you are plowing with this may become a issue.