• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speed Density vrs Mass Air EFI or SEFI experiences in elevation issues. ProM, Terminator, Dominator- no TBI input please

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
So… is BE still supported? And quarterhorse?
I think Clint Garrity is still around and very nice/approachable for assistance
Yes to both. But the Quarterhorse was never meant to be a permanent solution. It requires a battery to maintain a tune. If the battery dies, so does your car. The idea was to use it for interactive tuning, then switch to a permanent solution. The Moates F3V2 chip was one option (it is for burning a permanent tune but not for interactive tuning) and with later ECUs like the EEC-V computers in Explorers, a reflash can be done.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What Lars said. I ran my Qhorse for a few years as were dialing it in and I wasn't in a hurry but should have been. The Qhorse battery died and so did my Bronco! I can almost laugh now but I wasn't laughing then! I was less than a week from a huge Bronco event and was scrambling.
Got a Qhorse from a local friend That I had got him going with a Qhorse and after dialing it in burned a "permanent" tune on the F chip. (Nothing I do is permanent) lol

Worked fine.

The QuarterHorse is used as Lars said, for interactive tuning and tuners commonly use BE as kind of a software to enable the
Qhorse to override so to speak the A9l (or whatever you're using) so the engine can command and supply fuel as an example in my case to "tell" 60# injectors when to open, how long to open, etc, control timing, all above and beyond the requirements/needs of a 5.0. Kinda cool...

Clint is a SUPER nice guy. Called me on his own time and helped me 3 times this summer out of the kindness of his heart! :)

Last edited:

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What Lars said. I ran my Qhorse for a few years as were dialing it in and I wasn't in a hurry but should have been. The Qhorse battery dide died and so did my Bronco! I can almost laugh now but I wasn't laughing then! I was less than aweek from a huge Bronco event and was scrambling.
Got a Qhorse from a local friend and after dialing it in burned a "permanent" tune on the F chip. (Nothing I do is permanent) lol

Worked fine.

The QuarterHorse is used Lars said for interactive tuning and tuners commonly use BE as kind of a software to enable the
Qhorse to override so to speak the A9l (or whatever you're using) so the engine can command and supply fuel as an example in my case to "tell" 60# injectors when to open, how long to open, etc, control timing, all above and beyond the requirements/needs of a 5.0. Kinda cool...

Clint is a SUPER nice guy. Called me on his own time and helped me 3 times this summer out of the kindness of his heart! :)
Yes, Clint is quite a gentleman. He came out to Shingle Springs to tune my bronco with Shaun at AED. I was blown away at how humble/kimd he is.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yes, Clint is quite a gentleman. He came out to Shingle Springs to tune my bronco with Shaun at AED. I was blown away at how humble/kimd he is.
My wife and I were talking a while a while back that my job in the next month is to get his addy so I can send him a little something for helping me out so much this summer. He saved my "Bronco summer". There was and still is a lot going on.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My wife and I were talking a while a while back that my job in the next month is to get his addy so I can send him a little something for helping me out so much this summer. He saved my "Bronco summer". There was and still is a lot going on.
I know, I need to send him something just because he is the exception of most people today.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I still need to get be and gh, but what chip to use?
Worth noting is that Moates closed up shop, so you will probably have to find a second hand Quarterhorse, unless someone still has stock. With a fresh battery (it's just the common CR2032) they should hold a tune for a couple of years, at least. Find Binary Editor here: https://www.eecanalyzer.net/be Note that your browser may tell you that it's an unsafe website. It's not. Looks like Clint has gotten behind on maintaining the https. You need to buy a license to use it if you want to tune with it.

As for what chip, I presume you mean what chip to use after you are done tuning and want a permanent solution. Moates used to sell something called an F3v2, which is a small board with an EPROM on it that goes on the J3 port on the back of the ECU (what EFI computer are you running?) instead of the Quarterhorse. You use BE to burn a permanent tune onto the F3v2, then swap out the Quarterhorse and away you go. Except cue the fact that Moates is out of business. I understand that some folks are working behind the scenes to come up with alternatives, meanwhile you will probably have to scrounge a used one.

And like @nvrstuk I will eventually have at least one A9L, a Quarterhorse and F3v2 for sale, along with all the wiring to run EEC-IV based EDIS.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have QH/BE/EEC analyzer with the dongle and laptop cord. My battery lasted 4 years and then Moates replaced it and had EFIguy make my chip/update my ecm diodes.