• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speed matched clicking sound Need help.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you have wheels with a chrome hub cover that is held in place with the wheel remove the wheel and put a large rubber band around the sleeve and put the wheel back on. Next drive the truck with the hubs locked and see if the clicking goes away. If it does that indicates the hubs need reassembly as something is hung up inside the hub.
If you have hubcaps check that they are properly installed.
If you have a j shift transfer case make sure the lower spring in the shifter is properly installed. A rattley shifter can drive you nuts trying to find the cause. Check the spare tire carrier pivot bushings and latch rubber snubber are ok and the tailgate rubber snubbers are in place.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

New warn Hubs. No spare tire, Atlas 2 transfer case with their twin stick shifters. No hub caps. No clicking under acceleration or deceleration so makes me think not the front end. Why would it care? (Meaning it isn’t being driven just rolling forward.) Even with 6 degree shims in I have a 12 degree difference between the pinion angle and the driveshaft. Needs a single 15 degree shim probably. Will try that and then see what sound is left.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the angle of the T-Case?
Are the "angles" the same?

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Fixed!!!

Pinion angle it was.

12degree shims did the job.

No sound on acceleration, engine braking, neutral throttle or in neutral.

7A1920A3-13F7-42F6-98EC-C0CC18E9B128.jpg

03A3E0E8-2837-4A5D-A2A2-7CF9DB641868.jpg

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

How much chassis lift?
Better check the front pinion angle as well.

Trouble maker. ;D

Very little. 1.5” suspension lift from Wild Horses.

Problem in the rear was due to the housing I was sent had a very wrong perch angle that was not caught until after welded on shock mounts, full assembly and powder coated. Gave it a shot knowing that shims could solve it.

To increase the likelihood, sadly, of having issues on the front I have 7 degree bushings on the front to help with caster and on road manners. Will see more on it tomorrow.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Had a very nice ride in it this evening. Over a year building it, first ride without diagnosing a problem or having something critical not being done. Nice feeling.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Trouble maker. ;D

Very little. 1.5” suspension lift from Wild Horses.

Problem in the rear was due to the housing I was sent had a very wrong perch angle that was not caught until after welded on shock mounts, full assembly and powder coated. Gave it a shot knowing that shims could solve it.

To increase the likelihood, sadly, of having issues on the front I have 7 degree bushings on the front to help with caster and on road manners. Will see more on it tomorrow.

WH includes 7 degree "C" bushings for a 1.5" lift?
It's a world gone mad.?:?

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

WH includes 7 degree "C" bushings for a 1.5" lift?
It's a world gone mad.?:?

I wouldn’t say they “included” them. It was a lengthy conversation in regard to caster and how it would handle. A bit of an experiment. I’ll post on the results.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Can you post a new pic of the pinion angle like in post 19? I'd like to compare.
Greg

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Angle Post 12degree Shim

29EA6C3B-6213-451A-9E20-6474638A9ABE.jpg View attachment 502827

Earlier photo was with a 6 degree shim. This is with a 12 degree shim. Because the angle and the height change you get more change than the shim alone would imply.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Thank you for the pic. Mine looks more like the first pic, but I've never had any issues with it other than a very slight "hum" at interstate speeds. Now I'm wondering if 12 deg shims could alleviate that minor annoyance.
Also to echo others, thanks for posting the resolution to the problem. Makes future diagnosis easier for someone 10 years from now.
Greg

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

My pleasure. I always wonder about people that post, get a bunch of suggestions and then never post what works.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

I didn’t feel anything in the driveline itself. The noise was all coming from the atlas 2. Possible that older or different types of transfer cases have more backlash and are less sensitive to this problem.

To be fair though I didn’t drive it at high speed or very much before changing it.