• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedo Gear on Output Shaft D-20

Jduke

Contributor
Hello, So I am buttoning up my Dana 20 after a rebuild and I am noticing that the blue speedo Gear turns loosely on the shaft, How do I get this to hold tightly? Also I installed everything with proper pre-load and the gear still slide pretty easily on the shaft. Thanks for the help everyone. Speedo Gear.jpg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hello, So I am buttoning up my Dana 20 after a rebuild and I am noticing that the blue speedo Gear turns loosely on the shaft, How do I get this to hold tightly? Also I installed everything with proper pre-load and the gear still slide pretty easily on the shaft. Thanks for the help everyone. View attachment 921285
No, you did the preload wrong.

Go ahead and add the other bearing, yoke, and shims to the shaft without the housing. You will see as you tighten the yoke that the speedo collar will tighten up.

If it spins free with the right pre-load...something is wrong. How would you even know unless you reached inside the speedo hole and tried to spin it?

You can always add a couple of shims and give yourself .002-.005 end play. Should tighten right up.

Besides, I don't think a D20 is supposed to have any pre-load? Could be wrong.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA

Go ahead and add the other bearing, yoke, and shims to the shaft without the housing. You will see as you tighten the yoke that the speedo collar will tighten up.

If it spins free with the right pre-load...something is wrong. How would you even know unless you reached inside the speedo hole and tried to spin it?

You can always add a couple of shims and give yourself .002-.005 end play. Should tighten right up.

I checked, and I'm right. .003 - .005 axial endplay.

I know that some instructions on some conversions recommend pre-load...but that can be tricky if you have a locknut. So I always set up with a non locknut.

Is the plastic gear slipping on the collar, or is the collar spinning on the shaft?

OP
OP
J

Jduke

Contributor

I got long fingers :) Yeah, I reached in through the cable hole and rotated the gear, I am going

Yes, I reached through the cable hole, Ill try and shim it up tighter. Thanks

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
These are the instructions for WH Extreme Dana 20 output shaft. A little preload should help holding the speedo gear.

Part 2: Assembly of system into stock housing #8272 (#8277 step 10 only) 1. Install races into housing. Be sure they are seated all the way down. 2. Press the inner bearing onto the new shaft. Be sure they are seated all the way down. 3. Place the shims and then the speedo drive gear onto the shaft. The thicker part of the speedo drive gear will go against the shims. 4. You should use transmission assembly lube on the bearings and races. Then place the shaft into the output housing. 5. Install the outer bearing onto the shaft. 6. Install the output yoke onto the shaft and torque the shaft nut to 125 lbs. 7. Using an inch-pound rotating torque wrench check torque on the assembly. The preload should be 2-7 inch pounds. Add shims to decrease preload and remove shims to increase preload. 8. Once you have established the correct preload remove the nut and yoke from the assembly. 9. Install the seal in the housing, put assembly lube on the seal. Reinstall the yoke and nut. This time use some loktite on the nut and torque to 150 lbs.

Otis Campbell

Contributor
Contributor
Are you saying the blue gear spins on the knurled collar or the collar and gear spin on the shaft? If it is the gear that spins on the collar, I think I've seen someone on this site advise that you can take it off and center punch several places around the knurled collar which will create a tighter fit. Disclaimer: I've never done that and don't have firsthand knowledge, but, in theory, it makes sense.