• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box rebuild or upgrade

F350pwr

Hi everyone

The PO did the power steering box retrofit and used the style that mounts inside the frame. This has worked very good for many miles but it’s leaking and getting wore out. I wanted to get everyone’s input on which the best firestorm to go from here would be, replacing with a new box that mounts outside the frame and doing the mods that come with that direction or send my box into redhead or another suggested rebuilder to be rebuilt. I’m open to all options from here. My bronco is on 35s and is wheeled hard about 25% of the time it’s driven. Thanks everyone.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I replaced my " inside the frame" box with a 4x4x2 and did a tie rod over at the same time.

Contributor
Do you have any complaints with your current setup? If no, why not have it rebuilt.

OP
OP
F

F350pwr

I will need to replace the steering components at some point as they are getting sloppy. If I rebuilt the box I would be happy with it for years to come but it seems the cost of rebuilding mine is more than a new box that goes outside of the frame. If the new boxes are better than what I have rebuilt then I would consider converting everything at once, if not then I’ll rebuild what I already have. Thoughts, or suggestions? Thanks
I replaced my " inside the frame" box with a 4x4x2 and did a tie rod over at the same time
Did you notice a big difference between the two boxes?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
… but it seems the cost of rebuilding mine is more than a new box that goes outside of the frame.
That seems strange. But of course costs on labor have gone up as much as parts I’m sure. How much are you being quoted for a rebuild and where are you finding a new outside-the-frame box that’s less expensive?

OP
OP
F

F350pwr

The mid 500s with tax and shipping for my box to be rebuilt from redhead and a reputable vendor on here sell the Delphi 600 outside frame boxes with warranted for about the same with shipping.
Do the two boxes have interchangeable steering shaft and pitman arm?

Steering box and new steering linkage close to the same cost, is there a big difference benefit to one design or the other? Any difference in geometry, strength or longevity?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'd go with one of the outside of the frame boxes - the short drag link and hassle with fitting radiators make the F-Series/Lincoln boxes less than ideal in my opinion. They were a good option in the '90s when we didn't have many other options other than finding a stock box.

I switched to a 4x4x2 box in the early '00s and greatly prefer it.

Todd Z.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Agree with Todd after reading your comments about cost to rebuild your current one and what you mentioned about other strg components needing to be replaced soon also. Geometry on the drag link and track bar are important. Easy radiator replacement, benefits all around.

Let me toss this out there for ya. A replacement box that is just as strong as the 4x4x2 box, mounts on the outside of the frame, has been used by hard core rock crawlers for decades, was used by many EB owners, is readily available and is relatively cheap are the IFS Toyota boxes. I know parts stores have these for under $300. Yota specialty places like to charge closer to $500

You need to drill two new holes in your frame and use one stock hole.
Pitman arms are readily available. Bolt it in and it looks very close to stock
Adapting fittings is not an issue any more as you can buy adapters for under 10 bucks.

I ran one for 15 yrs and have several locals who still run them. Great box. I should have kept mine but I was chasing other issues at the time.

OP
OP
F

F350pwr

My Bronco was a 90s build so that makes sense.

Thanks for the input everyone. All costs being about the same with some added benefits of an outside frame box thats the direction Im leaning. Also looking around If I kept my current setup I would need to do a custom measured setup as they are not as common.

I will look into the Toyota box. The drilling more holes in my frame is not attractive but Id consider if no one has had issues with frames weakening. Is there a specific year to use? How about using with a Saginaw pump, are they compatible?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Either upgrade- 4x4x2 or Yoda or whatever-

the frame strength in this area really NEEDS to addressed.

I don't think there's a person on this forum that doesn't agree that the frame in this area cracks and breaks down due to the stresses from the steering box.

There's multiple posts in the forum showing how to do this and it's basic stuff.

The simplest way is to tack weld pieces of tubing inside the frame rail so when you insert the strg bolts horizontally through the frame rail and tighten them it won't collapse the sides of the frame rail.

What this means to you is whether you have to drill 2 holes for the Toyota Box or not you will need to strengthen this small section & do some drilling &/or welding.

You can also plate the frame, or do both. But you can't NOT do any of the mod's. :)

Yes, the Yoda pump can be "driven" by any ps pump brand- it doesn't care. I mentioned earlier that you would need to buy a small metric adapter to join the Yoda box to the whatever style fitting on the peessure & return hose. Small & common not an issue. Adapting the input shaft ujoint to whatever type of strg input shaft is usually just a call to Borgeson. First one I did I silver soldered metric to SAE fittings together (no adapters locally back then) and joined the stock Yoda input shaft to the stock Yoda ujoint on the box. Very simple & very "clean looking".

Good luck, you'll get this and it will cost you half as much or less than buying a converted box.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i would put a ps box back outside the frame. and since you are in there i would install a 4x4x2 box. or a stock ps box if you have it.
but that's me. always open for options.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As said, you current setup was a great option (albeit a full custom and not just a quick bolt-on) to be able to use a factory box that was MUCH less expensive and MUCH easier to find, and MUCH stronger than anything that was normally used on Broncos.
They were definitely stronger, quicker steering, had a little less freeplay, and generally speaking were more reliable than the original power steering boxes offered after '73. But they were also big, ugly, a bit in the way and required a bit of work to get installed.
They did also change the geometry from optimum, but in spite of that they steered and handled very well in general.
Not too many complaints over the years that I remember.

Just FYI, linkage parts are still available: Short Draglink in case you need to get it back up and running prior to any major changes you end up making.
Fits the stock tie-rod setup, so any of the modern upgrades that still use the standard mounting layout are compatible.
Pitman arms interchange because the diameter and spline count (36) of the sector shaft is the same over most of the common boxes you'll find.
That does not mean that one is right for the other as far as height goes, but they will bolt up.

Yes, big difference in geometry. With the longer draglink having all the advantages, and a smaller box mounted outside the frame rail having a more desirable layout. Also even though the custom draglinks are available, being able to source one at a moment's notice from just about anywhere is a good thing too.
So I'm with the others about the outside-the-frame being a better option these days. Just that there's nothing necessarily "bad" about yours either. Just that modern options can be better.
You'll have to cut off the existing brackets most likely, but that's not the end of the world.
Just a bit more work!

Paul

OP
OP
F

F350pwr

Thanks everyone for your help. Ill be replacing the box to an outside of the frame design and replacing the steering as its time. Your right it was a good option at the time but as time goes on aftermarket parts get better, sometimes. Not sure if this topic comes up much but I hope it will help others in the future make their decision. Thanks again!

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Let me toss this out there for ya. A replacement box that is just as strong as the 4x4x2 box, mounts on the outside of the frame, has been used by hard core rock crawlers for decades, was used by many EB owners, is readily available and is relatively cheap are the IFS Toyota boxes. I know parts stores have these for under $300. Yota specialty places like to charge closer to $500
There’s a post on here about a new Lares box for Broncos. Searched their site and they have new boxes for the yota’s as well. Lares 15924 315$ from Rock auto…..don’t look at OReilly, their selling over 800$.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
It says Yota on the side and people go "eew".

The Yota boxes are so dang tough and so cheap (thanks for the link ssray) and time tested that I'm surprised more people don't run it.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Is the part number correct for the LARS box or is that an upgrade? When I searched for the bronco specific box rock auto came back with part 11083? Thanks.