• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column Rebuild / Replace Options?

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Yet another sidetrack to my wiring repair on the '70, my steering column was working fine, but after taking the wheel off to get the dash out I noticed it is in bad shape and "since I have it out" I think I should try to fix it.

It looks like the bearings have seen better days and the teeth the steering wheel presses onto are all mashed down. I found a broken eye bolt in there that was used to replace a missing square head bolt...and part of the main column right up at the top of the tube looks to be repaired with some kind of thin metal (tin can perhaps?) riveted on.

It has all the 3 speed linkage stuff in there, I have no use for that as I have a floor shifter, so if that stuff can go it might make things cleaner.

I have a Grant GT wheel that goes on all this, and after taking one look I have already made a provision for my horn button to go on the dash so I don't have to deal with trying to make that work, as the Grant setup seems to be missing parts for the horn.

What are my options for repairing this setup? I wouldn't consider any of it in "good shape" but several pieces may be reusable.

A used column in good shape to replace it would be cool, I'm trying to keep cost down as much as possible. What years are compatible with the 70? Will all Bronco 3 speed columns work?

Can I remove the shifter components altogether?

Any other suggestions on rebuilding, repairing, replacing stuff?

Thanks for any assistance and please let me know what info I can provide to help, I can get photos if needed.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I just rebuilt mine. I think all the manual columns are interchangeable. From what you describe, I would either replace the column or have someone weld where they riveted the piece on. I too have a floor shifter, so I removed all the internal shift parts. Aside from new bearings and a new smooth shift collar, there really wasn't much to it. It's much easier to replace the turn signal switch while it's taken apart. The hardest part was connecting the shift collar back up. I was having some serious issues with the Grant horn setup and just wired it to the dash and put on a $5 horn button. Works and looks great. Good luck!

70 Steed

I just had the same nasty surprise. One of the PO's had swapped in a later model GM tilt column with a Grant wheel. Of course the horn and turn signals didn't work. When I took off the steering wheel to troubleshoot it I discovered that the spline on the column shaft was mashed and mangled to the point that I'm concerned that the wheel might spin on the shaft. Not good. I don't know how someone can mangle something that badly. Also the turn signal switch was missing parts.

My solution is to put in a Flaming River tilt column from WH. Definately not the cheapest option. It comes today hopefully I'll get it in tomorrow.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks, I guess tomorrow I'll go ahead and finish taking it out to see what all can be saved, or if I should even bother. Probably put up something in the wanted section as well to see what's out there.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Well here is the worst of it (see pics), all bearings seem to be either dry as a bone, or loose.

I also learned while searching for a column that my power steering conversion complicates things a bit. I have no idea what the swap is, the PO did it.

Looking like if I want to get out of it easy, I buy a whole new column. Or I can try to piece together parts, which isn't looking much cheaper for the amount of trouble it will be.

IMG_1205_800_600.JPG

IMG_1206_800_600.JPG

IMG_1211_800_600.JPG

IMG_1210_800_600.JPG