• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column/wiring question

clinem03

I’m trying to determine if I have an original steering column on my 76 wagon. When I looked at the wiring harness, there is a break between the actual column and “plug” with a bunch of wire nuts. I can imagine it came from the factory like that. I don’t know why someone would cut and rewire it unless it’s a column from another year and they needed to get the plug to work. Thoughts?

Attachments

• EF614238-9D56-4DB3-B6A1-2461D318A640.jpg
    EF614238-9D56-4DB3-B6A1-2461D318A640.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 45

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The stock column plugs were semi-circular on any year from the '50s-'90s. The square one on yours is Ford but for a different application. The wire nuts aren't a good choice for automotive use. We need a more inclusive photo of both ends of the column to tell the year.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
People clip the wires so they don't have to pull all the plugs out of the plastic connector. The half moon one like you have are easy to remove, but the six pin connector type on the earlier years are a pain to remove. By clipping and reconnecting they avoid having to disassemble the connector. Lame shortcut way of doing it, but I've seen this on three or four Broncos I've owned over the years.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

People clip the wires so they don't have to pull all the plugs out of the plastic connector. The half moon one like you have are easy to remove, but the six pin connector type on the earlier years are a pain to remove. By clipping and reconnecting they avoid having to disassemble the connector. Lame shortcut way of doing it, but I've seen this on three or four Broncos I've owned over the years.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just disconnect it? Why would someone cut all the wires vs pulling the half moon clip part...I unclipped it super easily.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Wouldn’t it be easier to just disconnect it? Why would someone cut all the wires vs pulling the half moon clip part...I unclipped it super easily.

People are lazy and don't want to take the time to figure out how to do things the correct way. Easier and faster to take a dopey shortcut instead of researching how to make a repair correctly.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does your column have a shroud over the illuinated PRNDL (if an auto of course) indicator? And doe you have the hazard switch sticking out of the right side opposite the turn signal lever? If so, it's at least of a type that the '76 would have had.

As mentioned, the original connector for the later ones was a semi-horseshoe shape. Earlier ones had twin square plugs, but of a different design than we see in your picture. Someone just posted up a pic of the early style within the past couple of days I think.
I'll see if I can find it.

But yes, as suggested more pictures would be good anyway.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The turn signal switch plug is nothing to disassemble and reassemble. Just pull the red separator out. That's the easy part of the job. Pulling the wires through the little flat tube is a PITA. The household wire nuts are truly a bubba repair. We still need a shot of the portion in front of the fire wall and the turn signal switch to determine the year.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Does your column have a shroud over the illuinated PRNDL (if an auto of course) indicator? And doe you have the hazard switch sticking out of the right side opposite the turn signal lever? If so, it's at least of a type that the '76 would have had.

As mentioned, the original connector for the later ones was a semi-horseshoe shape. Earlier ones had twin square plugs, but of a different design than we see in your picture. Someone just posted up a pic of the early style within the past couple of days I think.
I'll see if I can find it.

But yes, as suggested more pictures would be good anyway.

Paul

Hey Paul! Thanks for joining me on my next Bronco fix/adventure :). I’ve included all the pictures I have below. My truck is a manual so no automatic label shroud but it does have the 3 on the column and the hazard switch (that all work, including the turn signals). The wire “clip” is a half moon shape, is that period correct for a 76? I’m thinking it’s the original one but still perplexed on why won one would cut all the wires vs just uncliping the wire harness. At any rate, is there any benefit to having it rebuilt? I had my F100 steering column redone and it’s super smooth and now everything works.

Attachments

• 1E71ACE3-94EA-40D7-9A00-768EB9FA0492.jpg
    1E71ACE3-94EA-40D7-9A00-768EB9FA0492.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
  • D8A92001-65F0-41F3-BB6F-DF010AC9B015.jpg
    D8A92001-65F0-41F3-BB6F-DF010AC9B015.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1293D5B7-AE0C-4BE8-9737-EE9E545838BC.jpg
    1293D5B7-AE0C-4BE8-9737-EE9E545838BC.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 11

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks stock original to me. Why the wire nuts? Because that's what the person was familiar with, had handy, or just did not trust themselves with crimpers or solder. And didn't know how to remove the existing wires from the old connectors.

That, or they installed a used switch with all the ends cut off.
Any number of scenarios to get you to this point. But as said already, it might have worked (wire nuts are amazing things!) but it wasn't right.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The '76 column has 2 ball bearings, one at each end. They rarely wear out, but if they do, they're cheep. The shift collar wears out more often with 3 on a tree. There's these and paint that make a rebuild. You should be able DIY and save $. I would install a new turn signal switch while it's apart and a lot easier. That would clean up the bubba wiring too.