• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock 3 core radiator from BroncoGraveyard have a transmission cooler?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Do the stock V8 radiators from BroncoGraveyard have a built-in transmission cooler? I have 2 ports on the passenger side of my new radiator but I'm not sure if they are for transmission fluid.

If so - should I run my transmission fluid through my Derale cooler AND the stock radiator cooler for more cooling capacity?

Jonboy69

Those 2 ports are for your transmission cooling lines. I would run one or the other probably. If your radiator is keeping the coolant in the 180-190 range, run your transmission lines to the radiator. I believe your transmission likes to be between 150-200* to be happy.

Oatmeal

Running an external cooler between the trans and radiator will remove some of the heat load on the engine and you won't have to worry about the trans running too cool.......that way the return temp of the fluid would always be close to engine coolant temp. ----------Hans

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Supposedly they are for either manual or automatic I would double check when ordering.
And Yes run your fluid through the radiator then your external cooler for better cooling

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
thanks guys - so been doing some searching and reading on cb.com and there is some difference in opinion on whether the aux cooler should go before or after the stock radiator.

Putting the aux cooler before the radiator doesn't make sense to me. The aux cooler I have will easily cool the trans fluid to 180 then it will get re-heated to 190 or more going through the radiator.

if the radiator is first, it will bring the temperature down to 190 from whatever it is coming out of the transmission but will it reduce the cooling ability for the engine?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The trans coil is in the cold side of the radiator. Temps there are much cooler than engine operating (thermostat) temps. I've measured that temp at about 130 degrees with the engine at 190 degrees. That doesn't mean that it would cool the trans fluid down to that temp though. It depends on the efficiency of the coil.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all the trans fluid doesn't pass through the cooling lines. Some of it has to lube the trans and supply pressure to operate it. This fluid that isn't going through the lines isn't being cooled. Therefore you need to cool the fluid that is passing through the cooler lines down to a lower temp (say 150 degrees) than what you really want as the pan temp (say 180 degrees).

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
There was an article about this in Bronco Driver a few issues back...
If you don't get BD and want me to relook it, let me know.
Michael

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
There was an article about this in Bronco Driver a few issues back...
If you don't get BD and want me to relook it, let me know.
Michael

haven't subscribed yet but I probly should. If you don't mind paraphrasing the article, that would be awesome.

thanks