• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

superduty hydroboost pushrod

Emho

So I am looking at doing the Superduty Hydroboost brake upgrade and have run in to an issue with the parts houses not including the push rod for the hydroboost to the master cylinder. Is this somethng that I need to get from a junk yard/ pick and pull or are there some new units available with the rod. I even emailed a manufacturer of one unit and they said the rod doesn't come with the new replacement unit. I hate to get a hydroboost from a junk yard just for the push rod. Any thoughts on this? Also this is my first post. I hope I can get some info on this.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Use the junk yard part as a core when you buy a new one.
Junk yard core will have pushrod and possibly some lines you may be able to have re-made at a hydro shop.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I just bought a unit from the salvage yard, they gave me a 60 day no question asked refund policy. Cost me $75 and came with everything. Best price I found on a "new" one was $225 and it didn't have the parts like you stated and they wanted like a $50 core or something. Put my whole package together for about $250 including the lines.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 123

sigepkat

Got one of those rebuild kits awhile back, its got everything you'll need to rebuild one.

OP
OP
E

Emho

Wow the complete unit for $75.00. Salvage yard is starting to look like the path I am going to take. I can find Re manufactured ones for around $120.00 but they want a $50.00 core plus shipping and no push rod. Worst case I put a rebuild kit in and it cost the same money.

OsideDave

Does the pushrod need to be shortened or modified to adapt to the bronco brake lever?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The pick and pull around here is $35 for a used one - any one! You can grab all the lines and push rod too included. I used the Bronco pushrod and made it adjustable by cutting it a little short then running a die over each half and put a HomeDepot adjuster nut in the middle (like a nut but it is 1 1/2" long)

Here is a pre -made example but you can make it easy enough

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10094037-adjustablepushrod-kit-universal-a1726.html

OP
OP
E

Emho

That's a great idea but I am talking about the push rod between the Hydroboost unit and the master cylinder.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you use the master cylinder used on the donating vehicle you will be fine obviously. Most modern master cylinders seem to be ok. I used a GM heavy duty hydroboost with a 79 Camaro master and it worked fine. Recently I did a Astro van with stock Jeep master cylinder and we put a washer under each mounting bolt because the hydroboost pushrod was too long and the brakes would drag. If you put your m/c on the HB and it barely touches you are fine. If you have to depress the MC to get it to mount then you need a spacer. Too short well that I have never solved.