• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TBP track lock and rear axles kit any good?

fuentesfranko

I'm looking to upgrade my rear Ford 9. I'm looking at 31 spline axles and a carrier.
There's a kit at Toms Bronco Parts that seems like a great deal but the carrier is about half the price as any other options. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this kit and if it's a good choice.

My setup is a 1966 Bronco, Gen 2 F150 Coyote, power discs.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/ford-9-inch-track-lock-31-spline-with-rear-axles

oB5zPCi.png

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With a Trac Loc sooner or later you will be going back in the rear again to rebuild it. I would rather have a tru trac if you don't want a real locker in the rear.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No issues with the axles.
I just despise clutch type limited slips. They grab when you don't want them to and won't hold when you need them to.
If it has to be a limited slip, any of the helical style (true trac, Torsen, and others) is much better. What few conventional limited slips that are still available from the auto makers are this type now. It's the optional limited slip in the front of the Raptor.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you have to have a trac loc make sure its updated to a billet steel hat section.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I have one and so far so good. I doubt if it will ever see the usage it originally did so I am never going to worry about it's life expectancy.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not a big fan of the Track Lock diff...broke the hat/top cap through the ring gear mounting holes, which basically disconnects the ring gear from the carrier and then proceeds to trash everything else in the rear end. That was in my F150 with 35" tires on a muddy trail without much traction, so I can only imagine how well they'd do with someone sidestepping the clutch on the street behind a Gen-II Coyote.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm not a big fan of the Track Lock diff...broke the hat/top cap through the ring gear mounting holes, which basically disconnects the ring gear from the carrier and then proceeds to trash everything else in the rear end. That was in my F150 with 35" tires on a muddy trail without much traction, so I can only imagine how well they'd do with someone sidestepping the clutch on the street behind a Gen-II Coyote.

YUP.....lol

Tim

Attachments

• 20160325_125054.jpg
    20160325_125054.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 20

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the real problem with the trac loc the rear axle is driven by the inner clutch disc's and the spline engagement on the axle is driven on a very narrow patch and prone to strip with high mileage. when that happens you get no drive from the rear end.