• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The 10 things you need to consider before asking a friend to help you work on your EB

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Okay, after having needed to replace my '73's motor for over a year and with Super Celebration coming up within the month, I broke down and put out a call to my Atlanta EB owners for help pulling my old tired 302 out and slapping in a mildly built remanufactured 302 I purchased last summer. When it came time to put wrenches to bolts, only one of the 20+ ATL EB owners could clear their schedule to help me out this past Saturday, but I had waited till late in the week to try and drum up some hands to help (thanks to everyone who offered to help but couldn't make it). The weather was clear and mild (low to mid 60s) and I had everything ready to go. When Phred (Brett W.) pulled into my driveway at 9am sharp.

Now that the scene is set, here is where the fun began. We had a chicken biscuit, shot the breeze, and had the accessories off and the motor up and out of the Bronco by 10:30am. Parts pulled, flywheel off and to the machine shop (found one 20 miles from home that was open on Saturday after a hundred phone calls last week) for resurfacing. Grabbed some lunch-in-a-bag and back to the project by 1:45pm. Back to the parts store a couple of time (wrong pilot bearing in clutch kit and broken exhaust stud) but finally ready to start back on the project. Then came the time for reassembly (new clutch assembly, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, etc.) and insertion of the new power plant. But when it came time to bolt the freshened up flywheel on, the (6) bolts could not be found ANYWHERE. We had been judicious separating the bolts into trays for reassembly, but those six bolts were nowhere to be found. So it was back to the parts store and then a break for dinner. Along about dark, we slipped that new motor in and lined it up. After a long day of wrenching and looking for those bolts, we called it a day as the rain started to mist down on us (the infamous cold front had made it to the ATL).

So now to the title of my post...... "The 10 things you need to consider before asking a friend to help you work on your EB":

I have nothing to say other than just how much I appreciate Brett taking a full Saturday to help me work on my Bronco. If I started a list from 1-10 it would only contain great things about Brett and how much I appreciate his help. I say this knowing that he totally enjoyed helping me out, even though he has a Bronco project back in his garage that he has been working on all year for Super Celebration. While I did feed him breakfast, lunch and dinner (my wife cooked a kicking good chicken dish she calls "party chicken"), Brett made my day so much easier than I could have ever imagined. Thanks Brett, you are a real friend and EB guru in my eyes! ;D

But I have to ask....... what in the H377 did you do with those flywheel bolts! :p

Last edited:

Bulletman

Needed more iron in his diet ? ;D--- prolly found them in his pocket, AFTER he got home, I've done that more than once!

Good job guys.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I wanna know that chicken recipe!

:)

Way to help out Brett!! Is he a CB member??

farnorthdan

Loc.
Eagle River, Alaska
Uncommon to find help/friends like that...just remember,what goes around comes around.

Sounds like you guys really hit a lick, motor out and back in a day, thats awesome.

dan

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
I always thank them with dinner. Stephen got fried chicken, mac n cheese, turnip greens and banana pudding on Saturday and all he had to do was help carry the crank to the shop.

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Dan,

Yep, we were working hard (the driveway covered in oil tells the story.... wife not so cool with that) but we didn't get it all hooked up and fired by the time we kicked off. I am hoping to do a little each night this week (alt, p/s pump, radiator, etc.) and have it ready to kick over this weekend.

Uncommon to find help/friends like that...just remember,what goes around comes around.

Sounds like you guys really hit a lick, motor out and back in a day, thats awesome.

dan

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
All snags aside, it sounds like you had a successful day. Nice to hear about members being so generous with their time, good on ya Phred!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Still can't find those bolts!!!

Mac I went through all the stuff in my truck and I think your dogs at them. the chicken was delicious. I hate we didn't get the engine started but the hard part is done now. I was able to get those broken studs out of the manifold with a little help from the red wrench.

Here's a couple pics of the day.

Let me know when you get all the little stuff done and I'll come over and swap the dizzy and we start that thing up.

Attachments

• green 74.jpg
    green 74.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 50
  • mac at work.jpg
    mac at work.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 49
  • swaping pans.jpg
    swaping pans.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
No ten things here (you guys can create your own list) just some more photos of the day's events (my wife wasn't too happy with Ford blue paint on her pearing knife though) ;D Now I may never get any more party chicken.

Look at Phred using his mobile work station!

Bronco brothers and sisters are the best.

where is the list of 10 things?

Attachments

• IMG_5586.jpg
    IMG_5586.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5591.jpg
    IMG_5591.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 33