• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Cure! Ruff Stuff Specialties

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well

I bought and installed the CURE, which is a Delrin product that takes the place of the boot on the draglink TRE. It has a machined cup to allow for grease to accumulate and hold grease for the TRE.

As the directions stated it said to sand the face of the Cure spacer as this would allow for the TRE pin to seat correctly. (If is was needed) Apparently not all TRE's are the same, some have a long pin and some have a short pin. I tried once, twice and three times before sanding the machined cup down flush with the body of the CURE product. So essentially no place for the grease to be held. Unlike the old TRE boot, there is not way the machined cup on the CURE product was going allow for my TRE to sit down inside the cup as the cup is the same diameter as my TRE.

Installed it and it made a tremendous difference in steering and handling. I think it was money well spent, however I am worried about the fact there is no "cup" left for grease to fill.

Gravel Maker, if your out there please comment.

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
I think you shaved the wrong side. It is not the TRE side but the flat side that goes against the other TRE that gets shaved if needed.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I understand. However, if I had shaved the front side, I wouldnt have anything left and the hole would have been huge. So it made more sense to sand down the back side.

Not new to the bronco modification thing. Just making sure everyone understands that the directions are not quite clear and could be better IMO, and there is nothing on the website or in the directions that say that this is not a universal part for all Chevy 1-ton TRE's.

I wasn't aware that it was not a universal part and must be used with a Chevy 1-ton TRE similar to what you sell, until speaking with your sales guy.

I apparently have one of the few that has a very large flat face, as my TRE is the same diameter as your product (the Cure)

My next move is to decide to use it as is, or order a TRE and a new cure part from you.

Thanks Ben

70_Steve

Old Guy
I wasn't aware that it was not a universal part and must be used with a Chevy 1-ton TRE similar to what you sell, until speaking with your sales guy.

I apparently have one of the few that has a very large flat face, as my TRE is the same diameter as your product (the Cure)
I've done the Chevy 1-Ton conversion and considered installing the Cure. But you mentioned a difference in the size or shape of the TRE you used vs some other TREs.

Any chance you could post up some dimensions? I'd like to stay out of as much trouble as I can!!!:p

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
70- Steve,

I will try to get a picture posted up, but probably won't be till next weekend.

I have to head out of town for a week.

With all that I have posted, I would still recommend the product. Its seems to do what it claims. I just a bummed about the lack of information as I perceived what I read, as it being a universal part of the Chevy 1-ton TRE.

The part that they sell seems to taper down toward the pin. Mine is almost flat and larger, and I thought this would make for a sturdier part but maybe not?

Nonetheless, I have been driving with the cure and my steering is tighter and more responsive.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Nonetheless, I have been driving with the cure and my steering is tighter and more responsive.
Good recommendation! I may order one to try regardless, then.

I'm running Moog TREs. Are you running something different?

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
It's been a long time, since I installed the Chevy TRE as a tie rod over. So I am not sure that they are moog or an off brand?

EB70

Contributor
So big muddy it has been awhile, how is the product holding up? Is it noticeably better? Getting ready to get one is the reason why I am asking.

Thank you.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The one I have on the rig which isn't quite correct due to the lack of information on the site (my TRE is bigger than normal and won't work) Well its holding up just fine and working.

However in my quest for better handling and I think it is still the best driving bronco I have been in (little biased) Anyway, I purchased their TRE and a new cure to see if I can't effect a little more and better change? but haven't taken the time to get it installed. Anyway, yes I would buy one and I think it works quite well...

EB70

Contributor
OK. My bronco drove pretty horrible for a long time. I've been narrowing it down, and it actually drives much better. I just rebuilt my steering box. It drove better on the ice yesterday with 37's and a locker than it used to drive on dry pavement. It was twitchy for sure.

Looking to take it up a notch and a $25 part shipped may help! Thank you for the reply!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to hear it's getting better. Got pics of your setup EB70? Or a link to where you've posted up linkage pics and such before?

Thanks

Paul

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I installed " The Cure" 8-10 months ago and it does help tighten up the steering. Easy to install and well worth the time ,effort and money.
That being said ; if you're running 37s filled with BBs to balance and 7 1/2" of soft flex lift and a spool --- You might not notice a difference.

EB70

Contributor
I'll have to get some pics later. It is oem steering. I've been playing with /building trucks for years. The reason that is important here is that my Bronco was very twitchy etc. Even after the 7 degree bushings, good bearings and balljoints etc. it was still twitchy.

I suspected it was the box. I could feel this catching type of feeling.

I took the box apart and found the upper bearing on the sector shaft was bad etc. Cleaned and adjusted it is fine.

I also went through the whole air pressure thing. I set them at 25 all around and it seems to like that.

The vehicle has a 3.5 suspension, 1" body, 4.56's with 37" toyos. Hopefully I will get to drive it again this week.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think toe-in would be critical with that size tire too.
And I would even continue to experiment with pressures, even though it seems to like that 25 psi initially.

The Cure is not really designed for OE linkage, but I don't see why it would not at least help some. If you can make it fit that is. Not sure it would do any good there at the lower draglink mount as it's normally used on the GM style setup, but hey, you never know.
If your current linkage is rotating a lot during steering maneuvers, it could help. But heavy twisting with a factory setup usually means that the rod ends are well near worn out. So there's that to factor in.
But if they're newer and tight, then it should not be rotating much in the first place.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get it narrowed down and fine-tuned.
But remember too that tires that big can do what they want with your steering. Whether the rest of the system wants them to or not! Lot of leverage against the steering. Stock linkages are not as strong as they used to be.
When we had 29 and 32 inch tires as our max, stock was super beefy. But by the time you get to 33 inch tires, the steering linkage is showing it's true size limitations.

Paul