• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tie rods replace

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Get a good purpose built tie rod puller. Fighting with a pickle fork is a PITA as is most of the Harbor Freight stuff. The last HF puller I bought was about as strong as Playdough. OTC makes good ones and they are available on Amazon.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you replacing with more stock parts, or upgrading to aftermarket?
If you're running smaller tires and no suspension lift the stock ones are perfect. But if you're running larger tires and/or lifting the suspension, then a fully adjustable setup with more beef would be called for.

We have some to choose from to give you some ideas: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=3+way+adjustable
If your draglink is not worn out you do not need to change it as it's compatible with the new tie-rod. However if you have lifted your truck then the adjustability of the draglink is a HUGE advantage.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm not a big fan of beating parts with the bfh unless they deserve it. With that said you can take the nut off the tie-rods end and smack the front of the knuckle with a sledge and the tie-rod will drop out without a puller. You hit the knuckle on the end right in front of where the tie-rod goes thru.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's always been my preferred method too. I still have pickle-forks in my collection, but ever since the first time I used one on a part I intended to reuse, I just couldn't bring myself to do it again. Even if the part was going to be replaced anyway, I still got out the hammers instead.

I say "hammers" plural even though one will usually work. I learned to do it from dad where he'd put one hammer (the big mini-sledge type) up along one side of the knuckle and whack the other side with the other hammer.
Basically just to take some of the side loading off of the part being smacked, but also in theory to add some shock-wave effect as the vibrations bounced back and forth through the part. Don't know if that actually works better in all situations, but it has for me so far.

This was usually with smaller car-sized parts though, whereas the bigger truck-sized stuff isn't likely to be harmed by a few good whacks up side the head by a single hammer.

It is definitely stress relieving though, to take hammer to metal.;)

Paul

dougsride

tie rod tool

i hate to say this but i bought one of the purpose made tie rod tools from harbor freight. [not the pickle fork] but the on that pops it out by the force on the threaded end. the tool even worked on my superduty and i've used it on several other cars. ain't broke yet butttt...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with that either!
Been wondering how they work. As long as it fits the larger truck sizes, that type of tool should be a winner.

Glad it's been working for you too.

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
I'm not a big fan of beating parts with the bfh unless they deserve it. With that said you can take the nut off the tie-rods end and smack the front of the knuckle with a sledge and the tie-rod will drop out without a puller. You hit the knuckle on the end right in front of where the tie-rod goes thru.

long pry bar helps too on the stubborn ones pulling down on the tie rod , leave the nut on loose to catch it.