• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips for installing new steering shaft from WH

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
Got a new shaft (gigity). From wh. Mine at the u joint has lots of play . Any tips before I dive into it. The directions pretty much say take off old install new and tighten down and use lock tight . Is that all there is to it ? Looks like one bolt to the box and the shaft just slides up into the upper part ?

8E524925-A83D-4977-8C5B-BA8F2F078075_zpsjrl80te2.jpg

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I put a small detent into the splined shaft where the set screw lands to make sure it could not pull off easily. I know you mentioned it, but make sure you use lock-tite. I cannot stress it enough... The jamnut will back off without it, and that makes for a bad day.

Otherwise it is easy-peasy.

Eric

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In case it's not obvious when looking at it, generally speaking we set it up so that the larger Double-D shaft (1" DD) is towards the top and that u-joint/yoke attaches to the steering column.
The smaller section of DD shaft (3/4") would then be at the steering box.
If this is for the '77, you would see markings on each yoke indicating what size spline it is. The upper would be a ".75 x 36" (for the 3/4" x 36 spline shaft) and the lower would be something like ".8125 x 36" (or whatever the decimal alternative is for 13/16") to match a stock steering gear box.

So that's a starting point. Yes, for the length you simply slide it in or out to get the proper length based on your specific setup.

Depending on what box you have, there is usually either an existing detent or even a full slot that you can use for the set screw. If not, definitely dimple it with the tip of a drill bit.

Same for the upper in some cases. If this is a '72 or earlier model shaft you have to make your own, but if this is your '77, then there might be something there already. If not, definitely give the set-screw something to gain purchase on by dimpling the shaft.

Other than that, the hardest part is sometimes just getting the old stuff off that's been stuck in one place for 38 years or so. When we did my friend's '77 though, the old stuff just came right off with no fuss whatsoever.

Now's a great time to make sure that your steering box is on-center and your steering wheel matches that. It probably does already, but while you have things apart is usually the best time to verify other things.
See? Even with simple stuff there is the snowball effect!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
Ok could I t wait while wife running errands decided to get after it . Got the bolt off and joint off the box spline shaft . But can't get it to slide up or down on the upper shaft ???

Last edited:
OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
ok so i couldnt get the lower shaft to separate from the upper and so i took it all off at the rag joint. beating it with a hammer like the pos that it is and still nothing.. going to spray some pb blaster down the tube maybe it will work its self loose .. sigh.. dam old stuff lol

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
It sounds like you're just replacing the telescoping portion of the lower shaft.

If they've not been separate or slid apart in years, they can be a nightmare to get moving again. I've put the u-joint end in a vice and beat on the rag joint coupling with a dead blow hammer before to separate them. If you have a propane torch, some heat can help as well.

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
I'll try the heat. My torch is at my in laws but neighbor has one . Been beating on this for awhile . Might just order new/ oem upper shaft and be done with it .

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
For future use buy some Kano Kroil, it's about twice as good of a penetrating oil as PB Blaster.

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The spline on my upper shaft was a little mushroomed. I had to file the edge to chamfer it. Kept the splines clean. New shaft slid on great then; before filing it I couldn't get the shaft to slide on.

Last edited:

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
The spline on my upper shaft was a little mushroomed. I had to file the edge to chamber it. Kept the splines clean. New shaft slid on great then; before filing it I couldn't get the shaft to slide on.

I seem to remember that as well.

Eric

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
Got it done ! Greased up the shaft so it would slide easily also drilled that dimple on the spline shaft on the box for the set screw to rest In . Lots of lock tight and also marked all the nuts with a line to check them every so often to make sure they haven't back out . Haven't driven her yet as its raining here really good . So tomorrow for test drive . But just from sitting in the garage and turning the wheel I can defiantly tell a difference and a much tighter wheel . Will up date tomorrow after test drive

08C939C9-353D-4BB3-A9BA-1358CCD1F14F_zpsotahupn5.jpg

66horse

Bronco Guru
Can you show us a picture installed at the upper end of the shaft.

Thanks.

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
The upper part is still the stock part . Only the lower shaft is new . The upper attaches at the stock location at the rag joint .

33D41512-15BC-42D5-A6FF-B8DD7D2F9FBC_zpsa675wmk6.jpg

OP
OP

77bronk

Loc.
Fort Worth, TX
Got to drive her tonight and much better than before . I'm off a groove or two two the left so need to go few over the get the wheel centered . But other than that seemes a lot better.

66horse

Bronco Guru
Cool. I just swapped in a auto column in the wife's bronco and had to replace steering shaft because it has a Toyota ps box. Ordered the full lower shaft (eliminating the rag joint). Should get here for some weekend wrenching. Hopefully we will have the same results.

On a side note, I will be in your town for a week starting turkey day. Grew up there and visiting mom.

Cheers,
Steve