• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips on Making High Pressure Hoses

Twidgeon

Morning,

I'll be needing some custom high pressure hoses and was thinking of making them myself. Anybody have any input on the easiest way to do this? I'm not looking for fancy just dependable.

Thanks

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the proper fittings are crimped on with a special tool like Master cool 71500. A friend of mine has one for custom A/C work. I think my Napa makes them in house. Good luck

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Our NAPA also makes hoses in house, just not high pressure hoses such as those used for power steering. They do not have the tooling or a test bench once assembled and said it is due to a D.O.T. regulation or something like that. They ordered them for me, which was fine, since I was in no rush due to my engine build.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For power steering I used the blue hose from Speedway. Marked as air brake hose but it has been sold and used as power steering hose without issues for decades now. 2-piece fitting screws together. A little more compact then the crimped fittings which tend to be rather bulky. Really not any fuss putting it together. Cutting takes a cut off wheel of some sort (I used thin blade in angle grinder) due to the wire reinforcement mid layer. I know others that have used the same hose for long periods of time (decade plus) and have never heard of any issues with it. Easy to build hose that works. They only offer it in AN6 and AN8 and you need adaptors to any non-AN ports.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The screw-together fittings are sometimes called "Hanson Fittings" & can be had in other than AN/JIC hose ends. Weatherhead calls them their "Field Attachable 247 'N' Series" of fittings: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1200.pdf

In Weatherhead hose their H069 or H569 hose is used with these fittings and is good for 2,000 psi in 3/8" (though it is actually labeled as being 13/32", but don't let that throw you).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The fittings have to match the hose. Fittings from brand X probably will cause issues when putting them on hose brand Y. A good example of this happened a few years back on Roadkill where they rigged transmission cooler hose (not very higher pressure) with mixmatched hose and fittings. Ended up blowing the hose off the fitting.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Good point. Is why I specifically called out hose and hose ends that the Mfg lists as compatible with each other.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
For power steering I used the blue hose from Speedway. Marked as air brake hose but it has been sold and used as power steering hose without issues for decades now. 2-piece fitting screws together. A little more compact then the crimped fittings which tend to be rather bulky. Really not any fuss putting it together. Cutting takes a cut off wheel of some sort (I used thin blade in angle grinder) due to the wire reinforcement mid layer. I know others that have used the same hose for long periods of time (decade plus) and have never heard of any issues with it. Easy to build hose that works. They only offer it in AN6 and AN8 and you need adaptors to any non-AN ports.

I used the same hose and fittings when I did my hydraboost conversion.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Use the screw together fittings as mentioned above. They are very common and usually found at any industrial or farm supply store. THE single biggest benefit is that you can build a new hose in the field. All you need is an extra length that's the length of your longest line. That and they are half the price of AN fittings...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Use the screw together fittings as mentioned above. They are very common and usually found at any industrial or farm supply store. THE single biggest benefit is that you can build a new hose in the field. All you need is an extra length that's the length of your longest line. That and they are half the price of AN fittings...

That's what I've been using for several years now. It's great because you can make the hose to an exact length. And they're easily field serviceable, although I haven't lost one yet. And I have hydro lost (two long pressure hoses).

Mark