• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toms 5 pack standard leaf springs

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Hello Bronco Guru's, working on my 1974 U15 Bronco, VIN tag has it with A5Q axles and 4450 GVW. Truck came with new Tom's 5 pack leaf springs included. Originals are 6 packs. I figured I might as well swap out the springs since I already had the new ones from Toms and originals were 50 years old. Ran into a little issue installing the new. Originals had 4 1/2" x 5/8 bolts at each bushing end. Turns out Toms has a 9/16" bolt bushing at one end, and a 5/8" bolt bushing at the other. Did Ford change something thru the years? Is it because of the heavier axles? Something else? I am putting these springs in anyway but it would be nice to know the answer. FM

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, there are in fact, two bolt sizes used in the “assembly” of these things. But I never remember which one uses the smaller bolt. Is it the spring Eye in the back, or is it the shackle hanger on the frame?
You would think after all these years, I’d remember the specific sequence. But I get things best backwards sometimes.

Did the springs come with bushings and sleeves already installed? Or were they left to the user?
And do they come with an extra set of bushings for the shackles? And the extra bolts, totaling six?
Or did you just get the springs and no extra hardware?

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Correct, factory springs/shackles on "this" truck had 2 size bolts. Both ends of the factory spring bushings/sleeves were the larger 5/8" bolts. The 9/16" bolt goes thru the shackle and frame mount. These "new" springs came thrown in with the truck when I purchased it 4 months ago. Just springs with bushing/sleeves installed, no extra hardware. I know they are Toms due to the sticker that says "Toms stock" on them. I have already purchased a couple of 4 1/2" x 9/16" bolts, installed one of the new springs on the truck with that "smaller" dia bushing at the front opposite the shackle end. Seems fine to me.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can’t tell for certain by the pics, but it looks like one is a “straight eye” (for lack of a better term), while the other is a “Berlin eye“ which has a fancy slight S curve just before the eye.
Is that the smaller, or the larger one?
From the factory, the Berlin eye mounted to the rear and shackle, while the standard eye mounted to the front frame end.

With most modern aftermarket springs, that utilize a double wrap at one end, the double wrap by necessity has a straight eye, and also by necessity mounts to the front frame end.
Where the Berlin eye is now reversed, and at the shackle.

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
The Eyes have it! You are correct, I did not notice that and thought both ends were identical. The larger bushing/sleeve has the Berlin S and that is where I put the shackle. Perhaps that answers why the springs were made that way logically? I felt it was more important to have the larger bolt go to the rear since the shackle itself has 5/8" holes and can't be cranked down as tight as the front. Dunno, better to be lucky than good sometimes. Thanks DD.