• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tow bar mounting options

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I have a pretty conventional tow bar that I would like to set up for flat towing the EB. Not always, but just in case or when it's convenient.
Problem is with 35s and a 3-in spring lift, the tow bar is pointing downward from the EB to most towing vehicles. It seems like with a forward impact or a sudden stop the EB might simply lift up and run into the towing vehicle.
I was wondering if anybody had any clever ideas to lower the mounting point on the EB without totally ruining the approach angle?
I was also thinking about some sort of a removable clevis that would extend down about 4 in, and I do carry an impact but that sounds like a p i t a every time I want to hook up and disconnect.

THX,
JB

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
My 76 and 77 stock height I flat tow for real short distance and emergencies kind of like what you do but my towbars pretty flat and that’s what they say blue ox sells an offset hitch. Receiver to raise the level to the bronco, I had to build a base plate to go underneath the frame little overkill but I don’t want anything to happen

Attachments

• IMG_2860.png
    IMG_2860.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 69266514206__42D99F4F-D85A-4BF8-BBAB-740D4EDE169D.jpeg
    69266514206__42D99F4F-D85A-4BF8-BBAB-740D4EDE169D.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
My 76 and 77 stock height I flat tow for real short distance and emergencies kind of like what you do but my towbars pretty flat and that’s what they say blue ox sells an offset hitch. Receiver to raise the level to the bronco, I had to build a base plate to go underneath the frame little overkill but I don’t want anything to happen
That's a nice setup similar to what I have, I like the idea of the Blue Ox receiver rise. That might get my tow bar more on a level then it is with a traditional receiver. I might have to have a welder make something up or just invert one with a big drop because I think the offsets about 6 in.

Thanks,
JB

Nothing Special

.... just invert one with a big drop because I think the offsets about 6 in.

Thanks,
JB

That's what I did. Works well. Just make sure you get a draw bar rated for a 5000 lb trailer. A lot of them, especially with a big drop/rise, are rated pretty low.

By the way, another disadvantage to having the tow bar not flat (in addition to potential safety concerns mentioned already) is that a bar at an angle will move the Bronco forward and back as it bounces. That can really shake you in the truck. That reaction is much more mild with a flat tow bar.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I don't know what I'll wait when she's rolling but I'm figuring 4700 at least. Definitely need a receiver with an adequate rating

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I did the same thing to tow mine with our motorhome. I had to raise it 4" or so . I went with a Blue Ox 6" drop / 4" rise hitch. On mine I use a Redi-Brute tow bar that plugs into the receiver for the surge brake built into the tow bar to work. The Redi-Brute has to be close to flat or it won't work properly. We tow my wife's Grand Cherokee most of the time, and it works great. On a side note , when I got the receiver it would not work under the motorhome fiberglass body (I ordered the short one) so some modification to the back of our new moho was needed. I cut a piece out of the body just a little larger than the receiver , glued some welting around the cut with black polyurethane and to this day my wife has never noticed.
Mark.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I am thinking about pulling this with our Mercedes class c. Depends on how much it ends up weighing. I have a theoretical tow capacity of 5K and I regularly tow about 4,500 on a tow dolly without trouble.