• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tranny spewing fluid

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Any idea why my c4 all of the sudden is spewing fluid out of the front of the bellhousing at the flywheel inspection cover. No previous issues, it is a good tranny. Any advise would be helpful.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are 3 possible places it could be leaking. Overfilling should not cause any leaks at the front so don't think that's your problem.
1) Front seal-check to make sure the rear vent is not plugged forcing fluid out the front seal. Must remove C4 to change seal.
2) Pump gasket-removal required
3) Converter drain plug-take inspection cover off and check plug

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are lucky the torque converter drain plug came loose. The front pump seal leaks, but generally this is not a sudden spew, starts by marking it's spot. but it is possible.
Another option is the converter developing a crack, those do spew. Anything besides the loose drain plug option involves pulling the transmission.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
My expert exhaust man laid the new pipe against the cooler line, boiled my tranny fluid and blew atf everywhere. Did you just get new exhaust?

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I had the same thing. Mine turned out to be overheated fluid along with a worn input bushing. I found the exhaust to close to the cooler lines causing fluid to get up and over 300 degrees when wheeling. As long as I was moving along it would air cool the lines just enough to prevent boiling but when after hard run then idling it would boil out the front seal.
I since rebuilt the tranny, run fluid through the radiator for quick warm ups, installed two remote coolers, one with a electric fan. I bought header wrap insulation for where the lines have to run near the headers.

I have also found my front seal come out on two hot rods in the past, don't know why. Check the vent first, hope that's all you have wrong but I doubt it.

Oatmeal

Are you sure it's not blowing out of the vent and dripping down near the bellhousing? Back when I used to have an auto in my Bronco, I had an extended vent tube (up high on the firewall) and on long highway grades (CA's I-5 Grapevine) it would blow out of the vent and smoke (when it hit the exhaust) like crazy! It turns out, don't ask me why, it didn't like the fluid I was using (Penzoil Type F).......when I switched to Valvoline , it stopped completely?:? ......and no it wasn't overheating (big cooler and temp guage) and it wasn't overfilled. So, check your vent first and/or try switching ATF brands before pulling the trans......just my 2 cents:) ------------Hans

Last edited:
OP
OP
BajaFresh75

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the great answers. I'll have to investigate this weekend as I'm going out of town tomorrow. Thanks again, and I'll be in touch.