• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case shifter hitting transmission

marcussly27

Contributor
In searching for any fixable vibration/noise in the cabin I came across this over the weekend. I thought I was going crazy hearing a very soft vibration near the cabin floor and upon further investigation finally figured out that I'm not crazy. The shifter on my atlas TC is slightly touching my transmission. Is there any adjustability with these components? I need just a a few mm of clearance and the annoying vibration will go away. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpg
    IMG_4647.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 49

Quick & Dirty

I see exposed threads at the shift lever pivot. Is the bolt tight?

ithWgFi.jpg

Last edited:

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard to tell what is hitting what but would a washer or 2 move the linkage enough to give you some clearance? That or remove it and adjust the offending part with a BFH to make some room?

Quick & Dirty

Looking at the Atlas assembly manual, the linkages are supposed to be on the outside of the lever, away from the tower. The notch in the lever where the link mounts is also supposed to be on the outside. Looks like your levers are flipped so there isn't enough clearance to tighten the pivot bolt without binding the link. You may have to swap the levers to the other sides of the tower to get the links in the correct orientation, but then the floor hole may no longer be correct.