• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission Identification/Starter Fitment Issue

MerganserMaster

After working on it for 7 months intermittently, my 1975 302 V8 Bronco now runs and drives. However, I do not know what transmission is in it, other than that the shifter was swapped from a "three on the tree" to a floor shifter (Which I believe has 3 gears + Reverse). I have found two stampings/markings on the gear box and one on the bell housing. This brings me to my next issue, the starter does not fit well on the bell housing and is almost too "long" (despite putting a washer on the bolts to remedy this). My concern is that it will lead to the flywheel wearing out too quickly as it was actually rubbing against the starter (as seen in the photo) before I removed it. Any ideas what the transmission/bell housing are from and how I can fix (or replace) the starter so that it fits correctly? The starter is just a standard, new re-built one for a 1975 Ford Bronco (unfortunately I do not have the original one anymore).

Gear Box Photos:

https://flic.kr/p/2priQCg
https://flic.kr/p/2priR3E
Bell House Photo:

https://flic.kr/p/2prqJUm
Worn Out Starter (I cut a piece off as well so that's why the "top" of it looks werid):
https://flic.kr/p/2prozsv

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Check to make sure the starter is for a manual transmission as there’s a difference between manual and auto starter “noses”, for lack of a better term.

Randy

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
RAT is the 3 speed manual for a V8 Bronco. As stated, make sure you have a manual transmission starter, and not one for an automatic.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

Check to make sure the starter is for a manual transmission as there’s a difference between manual and auto starter “noses”, for lack of a better term.

Randy
This could very well be it, the "nose" on this one is actually from a starter on a automatic Ford Ecoline Van (that has an automatic), This was done as the factory one snapped when I tightened it down a bit. Any ideas on where to order a manual specific one? This one was from the in-town auto parts store so I suspect that is where the mistake is from.

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

RAT is the 3 speed manual for a V8 Bronco. As stated, make sure you have a manual transmission starter, and not one for an automatic.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I was thinking the transmission was stock as well, any idea as to why the previous owner would switch to the different shifter style?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
This could very well be it, the "nose" on this one is actually from a starter on a automatic Ford Ecoline Van (that has an automatic)
Yup.....This is your problem

This was done as the factory one snapped when I tightened it down a bit
If it snapped when you tightened it down it probably wasn't "the factory" starter.

Any ideas on where to order a manual specific one?
Any parts store should carry this. Just make sure sure that they know it's for a "manual transmission" with 164 tooth flywheel. see attached........
I was thinking the transmission was stock as well, any idea as to why the previous owner would switch to the different shifter style?
The transmission is stock. Some people change the shifter/linkage to the floor for multiple reasons. Mostly cause they can't figure out (or don't like) the column shift or it just wears out.

Attachments

• BCB ford starters.pdf
    897.2 KB · Views: 9