• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal switch wiring

Id4jea

Hey, I have a 73 And just installed the American Autowire harness. I've got schematics, cheat sheets from Tom's Bronco, and I can't make sense of one or two wires.

#2 red/black is brake light and works fine. #1 goes to ground in any switch position. Currently I don't have it going into my new harness because process of elimination everything else is taken up. When I do try to ground it I still don't get turned signal.
So I am looking for the function of wires number one, number three, and number four. Based on the colors I have them hooked up correctly, have power to the switch, but no power to the lights. I think I'm missing the ground somewhere

Appreciate any suggestions. I've got some good schematics but hard to tell what I'm looking at based on a drawing instead of a diagram of the switch itself.

"https://app.photobucket.com/u/id4jea/a/ac8b33a7-7629-42b7-9c98-599f56aceeee"]https://app.photobucket.com/u/id4jea/a/ac8b33a7-7629-42b7-9c98-599f56aceeee[/URL]

chuckyb

Contributor
I had trouble with the link. I'd suggest paying for subscriber status so you can post up some pics of the wires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What exactly is it doing (or not doing)? Sounds like everything but the turn signals work? What about the horn?
Is the switch in your '73 an original one? If so, definitely get some good pictures of the wires and all of their colors and stripes please. I'm curious since I've seen different ones all on '73's. Thanks.

Did you verify that the fuse is still good? Then did you verify that the flasher unit is good?

I'm not sure which flashers are used by American Autowire, but there would be two separate ones. From the factory they can be swapped as a test, and if AAW uses two with the same connector style too, you can do the same test. Swap one for the other to see if then the hazard flashers stop working and the turn-signals start working.

I tried copying-n-pasting the link directly and though it did open up Photobucket, nothing showed up. Maybe a misplaced quotation or other symbol?

Paul