• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vin decoding bronco

LagottoATL

Loc.
Atlanta, Georgia
little help/confirmation:

VIN off the frame: *U15NLB03756*

My engine casting number: C60ES430-F

Looking to sell this uncut survivor. But wanted to fully understand before I did. I believe (and was told 10 years ago when I bought it from a guy who inherited from his uncle) it is a ‘67. VIN checks out. N (289, which is consistent with the emblem on the truck) which means it had to be 66-69. But the last 6 digits (B03756) is not listed in the ‘67 series (which all start with an “A”, not a B). The only “B” number I could find comes from the 76 series of productions. Any thoughts on year?

Also, the engine casting suggests the engine is a ‘66 (which is consistent). However, the third digit is a zero which apparently is not common (should be a letter). My best guess is the engine is a ‘66 ford, 289. But what is not clear is that it seems to be made for a mustang or fairlane. Does this make sense? Is it possible the engine was replaced by prior owner? It has the patena of an original engine.

Given early year, is it possible Ford interchanged engines among models?

Long time listener/reader, first time (maybe 3rd time) caller. I’ll hang up and listen…

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
289 was an option in 66' models starting in 3/66' and continued through 7/68'. They didn't extend into the 69' model. B03 is a March 67' build. If you're looking at Broncohio, that's all messed up on the 67' vins.

I'm no help on the casting numbers on the engine.

OP
OP
L

LagottoATL

Loc.
Atlanta, Georgia
289 was an option in 66' models starting in 3/66' and continued through 7/68'. They didn't extend into the 69' model. B03 is a March 67' build. If you're looking at Broncohio, that's all messed up on the 67' vins.

I'm no help on the casting numbers on the engine.
Awesome! Thanks. And yes, Broncohio was where I was looking. And very cool to know she's a March '67 build.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here's a Ford document from a TSB that can be very helpful with accurately determining the VIN info for the 67-69 years.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 6.10.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 6.10.30 PM.png
    830 KB · Views: 49

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And the “engineering number” (not necessarily a specific part number in this case) on the engine does not automatically mean that was the year it made or installed. Just the year it was designed.
For the year and month and week it was made you would actually have to look at the casting date numbers.

They could’ve used a “C6” designation all the way through 68 if they didn’t make any major changes.
If they had made changes, they would have changed it to a “C7”, or a “C8” instead.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Here's a Ford document from a TSB that can be very helpful with accurately determining the VIN info for the 67-69 years.

Todd Z.
You know I trust you...but the TSB reference doc and BroncOhio are killing me...

My Boxwood Green 1969 Bronco is VIN F78448. Kevin Marti, and all of the native date codes are June of 1969. and yet???

Attachments

• Marti_report.pdf
    280.8 KB · Views: 11

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
little help/confirmation:

VIN off the frame: *U15NLB03756*

My engine casting number: C60ES430-F

Looking to sell this uncut survivor. But wanted to fully understand before I did. I believe (and was told 10 years ago when I bought it from a guy who inherited from his uncle) it is a ‘67. VIN checks out. N (289, which is consistent with the emblem on the truck) which means it had to be 66-69. But the last 6 digits (B03756) is not listed in the ‘67 series (which all start with an “A”, not a B). The only “B” number I could find comes from the 76 series of productions. Any thoughts on year?

Also, the engine casting suggests the engine is a ‘66 (which is consistent). However, the third digit is a zero which apparently is not common (should be a letter). My best guess is the engine is a ‘66 ford, 289. But what is not clear is that it seems to be made for a mustang or fairlane. Does this make sense? Is it possible the engine was replaced by prior owner? It has the patena of an original engine.

Given early year, is it possible Ford interchanged engines among models?

Long time listener/reader, first time (maybe 3rd time) caller. I’ll hang up and listen…

Thanks in advance
Is your engine casting number located on the passenger exhaust manifold? Could it actually be C6OE-9430-F

The C6OE-9430-F is consistent with the 1966 Ford Intermediate Passenger car exhaust manifold used on the 66-70 Bronco.

The engine casting number is located above the starter near the oil pan, and should have a -6015 as the root number. Most likely C5AE-6015-E, or else C6AE-6015-C Both used in 289's up to 68. I think it's too early to be a C8OE-6015-B, although many late 67 Bronco's got the 289 with the 68 cast 302 block.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You know I trust you...but the TSB reference doc and BroncOhio are killing me...

My Boxwood Green 1969 Bronco is VIN F78448. Kevin Marti, and all of the native date codes are June of 1969. and yet???
Hmmmm.....that's very interesting. I seem to recall another late '69 VIN deal like this recently - I think it was a truck on BaT? Obviously the Ford data I quoted was incorrect because you have a truck with that number on it...I think I found another source with the higher numbers in it somewhere but I can't recall where it was.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
@jamesroney - I found the other document I was thinking of in the Master Parts Catalog - it lists the production #'s as follows so your truck definitely fits within the numbering scheme for the year.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 10.27.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 10.27.44 PM.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
L

LagottoATL

Loc.
Atlanta, Georgia
You guys rock. The number I pulled came from passenger side manifold. I’ll try and find the other number as suggested and post. It seems everything is lining up to what I initially thought. A true ‘67. For a moment this weekend, I thought I had a ‘76. Nothing wrong with that, may be better—who knows—but I love my old gal just as she is. Hope next caretaker appreciates her as I do!! Thanks again all.