• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN on frame vs title vs Marti Report

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Literally the third sentence of the original post:

"I submitted the VIN as it appears on the frame and on the corrected title to Marti and received an invalid VIN"

Translated: Marti said the Frame VIN was invalid.
Interpreted: The 11 digit frame VIN is not found in the Bronco database.

So it is what Marti didn't say that tells you what he said. If you enter an otherwise valid search string, and you find a null response in the database query...the answer is "invalid VIN."

It does not mean that the sequence number (last 5) are invalid. It just means that there is not a match to the 11 digit search string. Since the whole thing has to match to be "valid."

Gotta be careful when you say: "Down the line." It's a misnomer. The unique series number (last 5 digits) are PLANT specific, and assigned when the order is scheduled. So yes, there was a dedicated Bronco Line, but the sequence numbers were assigned to the Plant.

About 3 years ago I found a 68' u13 6cyl, the frame vin and glove box door vin were identical except the glove box door read u13 and the frame read u14. I sent both to marti, and the u14 frame vin came back invalid, the u13 vin was legit

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've reread this a dozen times lol, I guess I'm missing where he said that the vin is for another vehicle per Marti, help me out james 😀

No other vins started with U, only broncos, and no other vehicles were running down the line with broncos after 66'. I've just never had Marti reply with anything other than "invalid vin" when I've given them an incorrect vin. They're usually tight lipped about anything other than what goes on the report.

lol

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
About 3 years ago I found a 68' u13 6cyl, the frame vin and glove box door vin were identical except the glove box door read u13 and the frame read u14. I sent both to marti, and the u14 frame vin came back invalid, the u13 vin was legit

gotta do the ground work right

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I just want to end the "Marti has the mistake..." discussion.

When a vehicle is created, the identity exists long before any metal gets bent. The vehicle is identified by the Vehicle Identification Number, which exists prior to the frame being stamped. The documentation establishing the VIN is the Certificate or Origin by the manufacturer. THAT is the real, bonafide, correct VIN.

The Certificate of Origin is submitted to the regulatory agency, and that number is used to create a Title. As you observed, no one ever looks at the physical number.

The fact is that the number on @tman6508 paperwork is the correct and true VIN, and the number stamped on the frame is the mistake. So Marti does not have the mistaken one. As you said, a missing or incorrect digit on the stamping, or the paperwork does happen. 99.9% of the time, it is correct...but even .1% adds up to a few hundred mistakes per month.

The problem is that the OP has found a true Unicorn. But what do you do with a Unicorn? Sometimes it is best to cut off it's horn and call it a horse. Otherwise, you spend endless effort explaining why you have a unicorn.

There are many instances where the title is "corrected" to match the VIN. errors and omissions are commonplace. What is new and difficult is that Kevin Marti has the database of VIN's. So now it is possible to confirm the existence of unicorns. And the vast majority of people do not believe in unicorns. So you are in a difficult spot.

There are a couple of ways to handle the discrepancy. Some are better than others. Some include asking Law Enforcement, or DMV. Those are generally the worst, and end with the silliness that @LUBr LuvR has described. Assigned VIN is a big negative in Bronco value. I'm not advocating any solutions. This is a public forum. Probably the worst place to get Unicorn advice...

lol good points James..