• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH Power Steering Conversion

75Denver

I've gone back and forth on my PS conversion thinking a stock rebuilt pump would fit my build better in keeping with the "original factory option look"...However, it's been nothing short of a massive year-long headache.

So, I've decided to succumb and drop in the WH Delphi pump sitting on my shelf. My question to all that for some reason I cannot find in the forum is: If I have all the fluid from my old pump (ATF Type F), can I get away with using that fluid in the new Delphi? Or is this instantly going to open another can of worms and create seal decay/squealing/etc?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the WH bracket, but used a PSC delphi pump, only because thats what I had, they require swepco for warranty, but I asked what can I use and they said Type f is what their sweptco 715 mimics, expensive of course. And it is clear, which is a pain because it's harder to catch leaks. BTW I don't think PSC makes the bronco pump anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What was the problem with the old setup to begin with? Not that I mind hearing another customer using our stuff of course! But I'm curious what you're fighting.

Is there another discussion thread about it? Maybe I've already seen it and just don't remember.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I use the WH bracket, but used a PSC delphi pump, only because thats what I had, they require swepco for warranty, but I asked what can I use and they said Type f is what their sweptco 715 mimics, expensive of course. And it is clear, which is a pain because it's harder to catch leaks. BTW I don't think PSC makes the bronco pump anymore.

Thank you, I think that’s the recommended fluid on their website but wasn’t sure with it would be wise mixing the two or if I could complete remove all the fluid from the box w/o having to remove it fully.

What was the problem with the old setup to begin with? Not that I mind hearing another customer using our stuff of course! But I'm curious what you're fighting.

Is there another discussion thread about it? Maybe I've already seen it and just don't remember.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks again Paul! I got you DM but to give a little history, the stock pump I had rebuilt came back looking good but I could not ever get the “assist” feel. It was almost like it was no allowing air bubbles to escape. However, I spoke with the builder (Marty Preuss- very helpful and understanding, great guy!!) and he offered to pay to have it shipped back and rebuilt for feee if I could find another core. I found a core, and that one turned out to be smoked!! It was awful. The verdict on what he saw after opening up the original one he rebuilt was all thumbs up. Nothing odd at all?:?

So, I installed the WH kit and wrapped up priming the pump. It all works great! Except the dang thing is leaking fuel like a sieve from the fuel filter. I should also state it’s been driven less than 25mi in the last yr and no more than 150 in the last two…so it needs to breath and stretch its legs a bit. Oh, and it looks like I’ll need to fix my coil connections as the distributor wire almost went up in flames. It’s been a day. Hot, smokey (wild fires and almost an engine) and I’m out of beer. Cheers all! (Clink of an empty glass…)