• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What color was the underside of the tub from the factory on 77 broncos?

jimnrenee's77EB

Loc.
Ward, AR
I am cleaning and repainting each area of the underside of the tub one section at a time as I have the components are out and was interested in finding out what the original color was. I was thinking about going with a red self etching primer but wanted to make sure it wouldn't be out of place. Any info is appreciated.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only year I think that had a red oxide final coat/underprimer was 66, maybe into 67. I know my stock 73 has body color over every surface, including the bottom.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The entire truck interior, engine compartment, and exterior are the same color. Only bolt-ons like the white top are different on my '77 that I bought new.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 77 has the red colored ox side color. Almost looks that reddish primer.
Mine does not have body color on the underside

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have a 76 and a 77. Both are red colored broncos and both are red paint on the underside no primer

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The '77's still had the red oxide primer. Some of the last '77's did have some components that were black e coat, but not the tubs. I have seen original paint '77s that the color of the front fenders didn't match the rest of the Bronco. The reason is the front clip was black and the rest was red.

The underside were sorta painted body color. The wheel areas seemed to be decently painted, but the rest of the tub underneath was half way painted. Many areas had no paint.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What FordFan said, I have seen a few of the later yrs that the underside had very little paint just the red oxide primer.

OP
OP
J

jimnrenee's77EB

Loc.
Ward, AR
Thanks Guys,
I have noticed that under my bronco tub there is a lack of paint or primer. It is a light rusty brown where there wasn't grease to keep it bare steel color. I thiknk I will shoot it with a red or gray etching primer until I can pull the tub and paint the underneath body color.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Friend's '77 is "mostly" body color underneath. Silver body, silver underneath. Where it was painted that is...

Paul

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You have a good plan,my 70 sport was red inside and out,but theres not much original metal left so I'm going with a black underneath,and black bedliner in the tub,good luck,Jim.:cool:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting, so pretty much what ever the guy painting the truck wanted, is what was painted.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
My 73 has red oxide underneath it with body color overspray near the edges. It was repainted some time back so the overspray could be from that as well.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if its a manufacture plant difference? I rechecked, it looks like my underside was well sprayed, as good as the top with final color.

OP
OP
J

jimnrenee's77EB

Loc.
Ward, AR
Thanks Everyone

I decided to clean the underside before reinstalling the transfer case so after deciding to just use red self etching primer on what I thought was bare metal with a couple decades of dirt and debris from a leaking engine, trans, and transfer case. I used tar and grease remover for painting and found a wonderfully coated red oxide primer on the bottom side of my bronco. Thanks for your help.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I never saw one that was not body color on the underside stock but that doesn't mean Ford didn't leave a few primer red.