• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What rims to buy

gbatey

I'm starting a frame off project on a 77 Ranger, I would like to go to a 17 or maybe even an 18 rim with 35" tires. Any suggestions on rims? I don't want to buy a set and find out they have to much or not enough offset. I have front and rear flares. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Gene

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I really like the old school slots.:cool: I purchased 5, 17 x 9 US Mags, Indy Slots from BC Broncos last summer. I think they are 3 5/8" offset, and with the diameter being 17" they will clear the tie rod ends on the 76 and 77's. Some day I will get them mounted.
See post 21 at the following link.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239642&page=2

P.S. I will be running 35 x 12.5 tires.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm starting a frame off project on a 77 Ranger, I would like to go to a 17 or maybe even an 18 rim with 35" tires. Any suggestions on rims? I don't want to buy a set and find out they have to much or not enough offset. I have front and rear flares. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Gene

Careful.....try to choose a wheel that has enough classic style or function to still be cool in a few years...don't want to go with some popular new fad that will be outdated in 6 months, like spinners....

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I have a 77' and put new tires & wheels on this Spring. The 76/77 models have a little closer tolerance at the front kunckles. I'll explain below, the best set up for a 76/77 model running 35-37" is 17" wheels with 3 1/2" of back spacing.

After a bunch of research and looking my experience is that the 17" wheels today are the same as 15" wheels were for the past 30+ years. When choosing rubber over 33", tire selection is very limited for 15" wheels. The trend is for larger and larger diameter wheels. That said, go with 17" and you'll have an unlimited choice of tires.

A common change today is to move the tie rod's to the top of the knuckle, TRO. This does a couple of things; it moves the tie rod up about 2-3" for better parallel alignment between the drag link and the trac bar -better driveability, plus obviously because its move up it allows for better clearance when off road.
However doing the TRO conversion also make the tie rod closer to the wheel, -kinda.. This is part of the reason to go w/ 17", more clearance. Generally speaking, when using 17" wheels everything just fits nicely.

And a lot of "modern" rims are made with 4" or more of back spacing...in other words this sets the wheel more inside -terible for a Bronco. You want a stance that offers stability, you want to take full advantage of a tight turning radius, and the tires can stick out to be parallel with the fender flares. You'll want to use the stick-on type of balance weights inside the wheel, not the [hammer-on] type that attach to the outside of the wheel.

Here's a pic of a 76/77 front end using old style 15" wheels and hammer-on type of wheel weights, TRO conversion. Notice there isn't much clearence between the wheels at the rim & weight. Another option is to use wheels spacer's http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Aluminum_Wheel_Spacers_Kit_Blue however there is no reason to "have" to use spacers if you buy the correct wheels to start with.

And here is the same 76/77 front end with 17" wheels installed with 3 1/2" of backspacing. Notice how much room you now have.

Here is the tire/wheel package that I went with, looking close you can read 37' x 12.50 x 17. In hindsight, and knowing what I know now I would have choose 35" rubber. 37" rubber is just a little too big, 35" is the perfect size. At some point in the future when I buy tires again I'll be getting 35" rubber

And here's a shot that shows the stance you can expect using 12.50 wide tires, and wheels with 3 1/2" of back spacing. These are the old style rigid fiberglass flares. Many of the newer style flares stick out just a little bit more. With this stance the tires stick out just a tad bit past the flares....some states have strict rules on how far the tires can stick out and/or mud flap requirments.

Last edited:

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I really like the old school slots.:cool: I purchased 5, 17 x 9 US Mags, Indy Slots from BC Broncos last summer. I think they are 3 5/8" offset, and with the diameter being 17" they will clear the tie rod ends on the 76 and 77's. Some day I will get them mounted.
See post 21 at the following link.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239642&page=2

P.S. I will be running 35 x 12.5 tires.

^...IMO this is a super sweet setup. 17" diameter wheels, 8 1/2" or 9" wide, and 3 1/2" or 3 5/8" of back spacing -fits perfect, functions perfects, and looks awesome. And 35" tires are the perfect size.

Nearly identical dimensions of what I'm using, just a different style wheel for personal preference. But I also *really* like the old retro slots!

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
I like the idea of a 17" wheel, but they all come with 4.5" backspace. I really want to go with Mickey Thompson Classic III's in a 17, but don't like the 4.5" backspace. Wish I could the 17's in a 3.6" backspace.

Jrdesigns

Loc.
madison
good thing i saw this.. i thought the greater the backspace meant it moved the tire further out

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I've always wanted to buy the old school white rims from summit racing in a 17inch size then add chrome beauty rings and a chrome center cap. With some 33s or 35s it would look badass but still classic. Never seen it done on an eb.