• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What size hole saw for creating front hub caps

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I came across a set of old school Ford two wheel drive hub caps in decent shape at the junk yard today. I'll need to cut holes in two of them to get them on the front.

Anyone know what size hole saw I'll need off the top of their head?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Diameter of Front Hub + some is a good start.

108mm comes to mind, but confirm this.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Wheels typically have an inner diameter of 4.25" to fit over the hub, so I assume the hub itself is about 4" or a little smaller. I would probably shoot for 4" if I could, but measure to make sure it would work.

Eric

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Justin, I just did this. Use a 3.5 in hole saw. I filled the inside of the hubcap with plaster and a chunk of closet pole to support the metal. Use a drill press, cutting fluid and go slow. I bought a fancy carbide cutter for the job. First one was slightly off center, the second was perfect. Lined the inside of the cap with cling wrap before pouring in the plaster. If you want I can loan you the cutter I used. Mark

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Try to find an electrician with a correct size knockout, will be way cleaner...and easier

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Hi Justin, I just did this. Use a 3.5 in hole saw. I filled the inside of the hubcap with plaster and a chunk of closet pole to support the metal. Use a drill press, cutting fluid and go slow. I bought a fancy carbide cutter for the job. First one was slightly off center, the second was perfect. Lined the inside of the cap with cling wrap before pouring in the plaster. If you want I can loan you the cutter I used. Mark

Yes, 3 1/2" hole saw works great. Just did one for a spare and my 3 1/2" was dull so I went to Home Depot to get one. They were out and I ended up getting a 3 5/8" bi-metal hole saw. It worked fine as well but 3 1/2" will clear the hub. I bolted in a piece of 1/8" plate for the center pilot hole.

Attachments

• IMG_5086.jpg
    IMG_5086.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: