• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

When to replace harmonic balancer

SilverBronco

Loc.
Denver
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 73 302 and while cleaning up the harmonic balancer I noticed what I assume to be a seal is cracking and chipping away. Is that a problem and should I replace the harmonic balancer? Thanks.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
When I got my engine done they sent mine off and had it rebuilt, I am sure you can get a new one too that is a little more pleasing to the eye than the original, I just wanted everything to line up just like before. Wild Horses and JBG I think sell replacement ones, about the same cost as a rebuild if I remember. Mine was doing the cracking and flaking thing around the seam and definitely needed some help before balancing my motor.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
It's not really a "seal" just the rubber bond between the hub and the counter weight. The rubber provides the dampening and the balancer should be replaced or rebuilt if it is cracked. If the crack grows to the full circumference the counterweight can slip and throw off the balance and move your timing marks. Both are not good things.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Scoop said:
It's not really a "seal" just the rubber bond between the hub and the counter weight. The rubber provides the dampening and the balancer should be replaced or rebuilt if it is cracked. If the crack grows to the full circumference the counterweight can slip and throw off the balance and move your timing marks. Both are not good things.
Ditto, I would replace it to be safe after all it is over 30 years old.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scoop said:

X2...replace or rebuild it.

If that counterweight slips off at speed, the least you'll have to worry about is your engine balance and timing marks. The hole in the hood and the streak in my shorts would be my highest priority and then I'd figure out everything else after that. I've seen fan blade cut through inner fender wells in order to exit the vehicle...I can imagine what a several pound counterweight can do and would prefer to never experience it myself. :eek:

There are a ton of OE type options as well as aftermarket options and Summit seems to sell most of them if you want to peruse your options...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...0+4294908331+115+4294840126&Ntk=KeywordSearch

ugly74

Bronco abuser
th elastomer bein cracked isn't a huge problem in itself. I didn't replace mine until the outer ring started walkin off the front.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I sent mine to damperdudes and it came back with fresh black paint on it. Nice job.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
If I remember correctly I think you can now buy new ones from a good parts house ....Ask for Dorman Grayworks ....it's a side line of dorman products should be cheaper than speciality houses......If not buy what's kool !!!!