• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who's volt meter

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
What voltnmeter is everyone running when usingn a 3g or 4g alternator. I went with the explorer front dress and now want to convert ny guage cluster to anvolt meter instead if the amp guage. Also. How donyou hook it up. I know that you hook to a ground and a hot in run wire for hot but what do you donwith the old factory black/pink wire that is a hot loop for everthing else. Do you just move it out of the way and leave it looped?

Thanks

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
What voltnmeter is everyone running when usingn a 3g or 4g alternator. I went with the explorer front dress and now want to convert ny guage cluster to anvolt meter instead if the amp guage. Also. How donyou hook it up. I know that you hook to a ground and a hot in run wire for hot but what do you donwith the old factory black/pink wire that is a hot loop for everthing else. Do you just move it out of the way and leave it looped?

Thanks

If you are looking to keep the stock style volt gauge in the gauge cluster then get one from Kevin at classy chassis restoration. The volt meter only needs the ground and a 12V switched source like off your ignition switch. Otherwise an aftermarket type like autometer would be a good choice. Leave the loop together behind the amp meter.

OP
OP
Crush

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Thanks twisted. Thats what I was thinkin. Yes im going for the stock replacement. Forgot about classy chassie. Ill lookmat those too. I know about the wid horses one and read the guage face quality isnt very good but that was an old post. Just lookin to get the best bang for the buck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, didn't even remember that, but now that you mention it, it sounds familiar.
Don't think we've had any complaints lately, and of course if the condition is less than expected we'd take it back.
As far as I know, we're on at least the second, if not third generation of those. Different vendors if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the Black wire, yes you MUST leave the connector connected so that everything else continues to work as expected. Just lay it to the side and tie it up if needed. Probably would just sit there on it's own, but easy to tie off just in case.

The best place to take the 12v power for the gauge from would be the existing IVR (instrument voltage regulator). Instead of the regular output side that all the other gauges use, simply connect a new wire from the input side to your new volt gauge.
Just a few inches of wire and a couple of connectors.

From what I read here, I think most people just tie into the long stud on the back of the ignition switch with the Black w/green wire connected to it.
This means that the gauge is active whether the key is in RUN or ACC positions, but this should not really cause any issues I can think of.

Paul