• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Saginaw and Current Bracket?

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

I posted some information in another thread regarding this topic... I suppose I was hijacking it. So, I thought I would post here, too.

Here's a picture of the current setup from the POs thread:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=219765&d=1313534295

And here's the actual thread with more background information:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190511

I suppose the best thing to do is to just swap out the pump. (Unless the symptoms I describe somehow suggest the box being part of the problem.)

One big question concerns the bracket and which pump will work with it. Or, which bracket will be required with the serpentine setup.

Thansk for any advice.

Jeff

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
The puking is almost always caused by air in the system. The PS pump runs at about 1500 PSI. It compresses the air with that amount of force making the air bubble several times smaller than when it is not compressed. You fill the pump while the pump is running. Then turn it off. The air expands and displaced the fluid you just added to the pump and decorates your engine compartment and floor. Luckily PS fluid cleans up pretty easily with water and detergent.

Although I think you can get your current pump to stop puking, I'd recommend the Saginaw pump. If you ever intend to go Hydro boost I would suggest using a 70's Lincoln Mark IV Hydro boost pump. Just cap off the second return line until you are ready. I believe with some grinding and a few washers you can use your current bracket. My bracket on my 351W was pretty similar to that bracket and that is what I did.

suckerpunched

My serpentine setup had what looks to be that same bracket. I kind of wanted the saginaw pump with the dual returns. I didn't think it was possible to get the saginaw pump into that bracket without compromising the strength, but i really didnt spend a whole lot of time trying to make it work. I am about 3/4 of the way into making my own bracket, if you are interested I can take some pictures and post them here.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Suckerpunched,

My serpentine setup had what looks to be that same bracket. I kind of wanted the saginaw pump with the dual returns. I didn't think it was possible to get the saginaw pump into that bracket without compromising the strength, but i really didnt spend a whole lot of time trying to make it work. I am about 3/4 of the way into making my own bracket, if you are interested I can take some pictures and post them here.

Pictures would be great.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Bronchole,

The puking is almost always caused by air in the system. The PS pump runs at about 1500 PSI. It compresses the air with that amount of force making the air bubble several times smaller than when it is not compressed. You fill the pump while the pump is running. Then turn it off. The air expands and displaced the fluid you just added to the pump and decorates your engine compartment and floor. Luckily PS fluid cleans up pretty easily with water and detergent.

Although I think you can get your current pump to stop puking, I'd recommend the Saginaw pump. If you ever intend to go Hydro boost I would suggest using a 70's Lincoln Mark IV Hydro boost pump. Just cap off the second return line until you are ready. I believe with some grinding and a few washers you can use your current bracket. My bracket on my 351W was pretty similar to that bracket and that is what I did.

I have a Saginaw on a '71. It is the type used on mid 80s 3/4 ton Suburbans. It works great.

I can tell by the look of the power steering fluid that there is air in the fluid. Although it doesn't leak, I am really puzzled by the hose connection at the pressure fitting on the pump. Maybe it's a type of fitting that I'm not familiar with... but, it bothers me because the hose is loose at this fitting. You can take the hose in your hands and turn it freely at that connection, and you can even make the hose wobble inside the fitting just by applying slight pressure on the hose. It just doesn't feel right. I'll be looking into that more today.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Power Steering Hose Fiiting Concerns

Hi,

I am posting a picture that shows the pressure side hose at the power steering pump. I have added comments to the picture hoping they will make it more clear. (The picture is a .pdf. I am posting it so that I could make the comments.)

There is quite a bit of slop in the hose where it fits up into the pump. Maybe I don't understand how this fitting works; but, I find it hard to believe it is air and fluid tight at the pressure of the pump when I can rotate the tube so easily.

I plan on pulling the pressure side hose off to see how it is supposed to seat.

I recorded the numbers printed on the hose. They did me no good. Can anyone else recommend a replacement knowing this is a Ford box and I am going into a 4X4X2 box?

Thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_3778 1024x768 Power Steering Hose.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 27

suckerpunched

heres a few pictures of the bracket I am building. still need to finish the idler that takes the place of the AC compressor. If we decide to add AC down the road, I will cut it back apart and keep building. There are probably brackets available for this application. but I couldnt find any i liked all that much, so I decided to give it a shot myself.

Attachments

• bracket13.jpg
    bracket13.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 38
  • bracket12.jpg
    bracket12.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 31
  • bracket11.jpg
    bracket11.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 30
  • bracket10.jpg
    bracket10.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 31
  • bracket6.jpg
    bracket6.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 29
  • bracket4.jpg
    bracket4.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Nice!

Hi Suckerpunched,

heres a few pictures of the bracket I am building. still need to finish the idler that takes the place of the AC compressor. If we decide to add AC down the road, I will cut it back apart and keep building. There are probably brackets available for this application. but I couldnt find any i liked all that much, so I decided to give it a shot myself.

That looks like really nice work.

How close are you to getting everything put back together?

What would you charge to build one of those for someone like me?

It really is a great looking bracket. I guess after a couple experiences with brackets that didn't work on other set-ups I'd probably keep my excitement down until I knew that it worked for both the pump and the tensioner in my case.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

suckerpunched

Jeff,
Here's a couple more pics with the idler on it. will bolt it back on the engine tomorrow and put a belt on it. I cant imagine what could go wrong at this point with my design. Can you fabricate? I can send more pics and measurements, it really wasnt that hard, just carefull measuring and keep everything square as I go. Took quite a bit of time but probably could do another in about a 1/4 the time. I told my son (12) maybe he needs to build PS brackets for his summertime job. HaHa

Attachments

• bracket14.jpg
    bracket14.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 31
  • bracket15.jpg
    bracket15.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Thanks

Hey Again,

Jeff,
Here's a couple more pics with the idler on it. will bolt it back on the engine tomorrow and put a belt on it. I cant imagine what could go wrong at this point with my design. Can you fabricate? I can send more pics and measurements, it really wasnt that hard, just carefull measuring and keep everything square as I go. Took quite a bit of time but probably could do another in about a 1/4 the time. I told my son (12) maybe he needs to build PS brackets for his summertime job. HaHa

I have to laugh about the fabrication comment. I haven't welded anything in over 40 years. (And I wasn't really any good then.) I took my first welding class tonight. At this point in time I think I'd best look into buying from an expert.

I really haven't looked around for a bracket, other than some searching on this forum. If your setup works, and you're interested in making another one, I would sure be interested in talking with you. (You might even get the interest of someone like Wild Horses or one of the other Bronco houses.)

The heavy gauge steel work really looks good. Nice job!

Jeff

suckerpunched

Jeff,
do you know what your serpentine system is out of ? Mustang? what is located above the pump?

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Hi suckerpunched that bracket looks great if you do decide to make more let me know as well please. I would definitely be interested depending on price. From the pictures of your original bracket it looks like a mustang setup is that right? I have a 95 mustang setup I am trying to make work right now but I don't know if I want to trust a mustang pump to turn 35" tires off road and have been trying to get my Saginaw pump setup and this looks like the way to go.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Serpentine System

Hi Suckerpunched,

Jeff,
do you know what your serpentine system is out of ? Mustang? what is located above the pump?

I have attached a .pdf that shows a couple of views of the engine bay. The first of the two pics shows the bracket that is on the motor now. There is nothing located above the power steering pump, other than the idler. I can take other pictures if you like; but, I had these available and was hoping they show what you need.

Thanks for getting back with me.

Jeff

Attachments

• 1970 Bronco Engine Pictures 032912.pdf
    225.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

suckerpunched

badmuttstang,
My engine is out of a MK VII, as far as the brackets are concerned, I think same as mustang.

Jeff,
I sent you a PM with some info on other brackets I found and why they didnt entice me to part with $100 bill (or more)

I am pretty sure my my bracket would work for both of you. I will post a pic here tomorrow with the belt on it. The one I got today is about 1" too short.

I am considering teaching my son how to make a short run of these. I would have to help him with the welding but it would be a pretty good experience for him.

suckerpunched

OK heres the finished product. tack welded together and installed on engine with belt on it.

Attachments

• bracket16.jpg
    bracket16.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bracket17.jpg
    bracket17.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
HI Suckerpunched,

Very nice setup. I like the way the belt alignment is true.

I think you have a great bracket.

I'd buy one if you were selling.

Jeff