• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is this near my driver kick panel?

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
I am in the middle of replacing the floorpans/kick panels on my 66 and there is some sort of drip rail that is spot welded to the factory kick panel where it meets the firewall. It is only on the driver side and not the passenger. What is this item and am I going to need it for my restomod? I was going to leave the old as it is and butt weld underneath it unless I don't need it then I will cut it out and replace with the entire patch panel that I have. Thanks!

IMG_3974.JPG

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It's a 66 year only item, and not all 66 had them and it is just that, and rain gutter/drip rail. I've seen them screwed on or welded on.

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
It's a 66 year only item, and not all 66 had them and it is just that, and rain gutter/drip rail. I've seen them screwed on or welded on.
Thanks! Do you know what happens if I remove it? Is my firewall setup different than later years to where it would allow water in?

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Not sure about what would happen if you removed it, but the metal all around it looks good. I would try and save it if it doesn't cause too much more work for you. A 1 year only feature is worth trying to save.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Thanks! Do you know what happens if I remove it? Is my firewall setup different than later years to where it would allow water in?
Nothing happens if you remove it, except that you will suddenly notice that there's a giant drain hole in the middle of your firewall that doesn't do anything except let hot air in the cab. You can see it in your pic in the dead middle of the rain gutter. About 3/4 in diameter, and the bottom of the hole lines up with the gutter. The theory is that any water that accumulates on the cowl will migrate down the firewall, and end up in the gutter and drain outside. There's another one that is much shorter on the passenger side up high on the kick panel.

It turns out that one of the major reproduction houses cloned that gutter on their firewall. So when you get a body kit, it has the 66 style gutters. So now you find that piece on all different years.

As long as you seam seal the upper cowl, and run the welded on windshield with the hinge gasket...you can delete the gutters. As you can see, they do not prevent water from destroying your floor pans.

OP
OP
Sendero

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
Nothing happens if you remove it, except that you will suddenly notice that there's a giant drain hole in the middle of your firewall that doesn't do anything except let hot air in the cab. You can see it in your pic in the dead middle of the rain gutter. About 3/4 in diameter, and the bottom of the hole lines up with the gutter. The theory is that any water that accumulates on the cowl will migrate down the firewall, and end up in the gutter and drain outside. There's another one that is much shorter on the passenger side up high on the kick panel.

It turns out that one of the major reproduction houses cloned that gutter on their firewall. So when you get a body kit, it has the 66 style gutters. So now you find that piece on all different years.

As long as you seam seal the upper cowl, and run the welded on windshield with the hinge gasket...you can delete the gutters. As you can see, they do not prevent water from destroying your floor pans.
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I will leave it, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to be a problem for anything later. My floor pans honestly weren’t too bad but just bad enough.