• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door hinge

Broncocw

Is there a way to oil the bolts to the door hinges where it connects to the body? I want to take the doors off and a couple bolts don't want to move

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Not really - the plate with the threaded holes is inside the A post. There aren’t any access points on either side for that purpose without the creative application of a drill bit.

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I sprayed multiple times with AeroKroil and let it soak in. Impact drill took care of MOST of the screws. The ones that didn’t come freely twisted off and I drilled and used ease out to get the broken part out.

Randy

joshua

Contributor
I used an oxy acetylene torch on the heads of the bolts. I didn’t care about paint. Because a broken bolt would be way worse, and your gonna mess paint up anyway if you break a bolt.

I just put it on one for a second or two, till the head glowed dull red. Mine was a 68 with the Philips head bolts tho. I then stuck a big screwdriver in it and smacked it a few times. Repeated this process till the came free.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
If you take all the bolts out does the plate fall into the A post?
Yes it does, ask me how I know. Best thing to do is get some all thread and cut it to length, screw into the corners so when you reinstall you can just slide the hinge over it and install regular bolts.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Yes it does, ask me how I know. Best thing to do is get some all thread and cut it to length, screw into the corners so when you reinstall you can just slide the hinge over it and install regular bolts.

That’s odd…. Do you have an early truck? The plates (upper and lower) on my 70 were contained within a frame to hold the plate in the general area, preventing it from falling out of place.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
That’s odd…. Do you have an early truck? The plates (upper and lower) on my 70 were contained within a frame to hold the plate in the general area, preventing it from falling out of place.
73 model

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Torkman66

Contributor
Plates will not fall. They are in a cage. Only way they fall is if the A pillar is rusted out in which case them falling is the least of your problems. On the bolts take a hammer and hit the heads a few good whacks. The idea is to break loose the bolt from the rusty threads. Then if you can get even a slight turn on the bolt, don’t just keep turning it. Hit again a couple times and then try to get a bit of a turn tightening it. Do that back and forth several times increase the untightening turns a bit more each time. Loosen, tighten, back and forth. Eventually should come out. If it breaks, do as described above.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I used an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer to make it turn) with a Phillips bit that was properly sized for the bolt head slots. After a couple of lighter smacks with the hammer to shock load the bolts a little, I smacked them harder to break them loose. Every one of them came out even though they were rusty. You have to really hold the tool down into the holt head hard when you hit it or it will bounce out. And as a bonus the bit holder is a 3/8" square drive that you can take off and use with a ratchet wrench. I also smeared anti-seize on the threads before I put them back on. https://www.craftsman.com/products/cmmt14104/impact-tool-set
Mark.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

The inner structure of his A pillar was likely rusted out and the holding area for the plates was long gone.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
The inner structure of his A pillar was likely rusted out and the holding area for the plates was long gone.
I've read numerous post asking how to go about getting the backing plates out of the A-pillar after they have fallen when removing the hinges. I assume a big majority of Broncos no longer have that area in the A-pillar unless they have been replaced. I was just giving him a word of warning.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I can answer how to get the plates out after this past weekend….

I replace the A post a few weeks ago. I -somehow- stripped 2 of the threaded holes on the plate so had to open up my A pillar.

I pulled the fender and carefully planned cuts using an angle grinder spinning a cutoff wheel.

I made 2 horizontal cuts (1 above and 1 below) the plate.

I made 1 vertical cut in front of thw A (hidden behind fender).

I was able to bend the “flap” back using vise grips to remove the plate.

After carefully rebending the flap to its original spot, I welded it up, ground it flat then repainted all of it. You’d never know I was in there!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I made 2 horizontal cuts (1 above and 1 below) the plate.

I made 1 vertical cut in front of thw A (hidden behind fender).

I was able to bend the “flap” back using vise grips to remove the plate.

After carefully rebending the flap to its original spot, I welded it up, ground it flat then repainted all of it. You’d never know I was in there!
This^^^ How I've done it to replace.