• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PA Trail cover

broncojohn

@jeffncs I think I will reinforce a few area to be on the safe side . A few reasons why as it will protect the bronco and keep wear to a minimum on the cover. I also have a tendency to over build things lol.

I unfortunately only have 2 broncos now and both bone ass stock . So no cage but a full soft top on it will give me a reference of a full cage.

broncojohn

@NGABronco thank you for the pictures and that’s perfect and can see all the details. Did they use webbing for the binding of the edges

broncojohn

@NGABronco thanks for the info and interesting they used webbing and really a good idea. Webbing is a bit tricky to fold unless you have a folding attachment on your sewing machine. I do on my one machine but it’s for light materials. My others are heavy and super heavy duty machines.

I played with a pattern last night and will start sewing today when it starts raining. As nice weather is for driving :)

I don’t know how to post a picture any longer but have in the past like 15 years ago lol. I can do a tech in case someone wants to make their own and the way I did a pattern and approached the project. Thank you for your help in the top guys @NGABronco @tasker I really appreciate it . This trail top is perfect for a quick cover up …

broncojohn

Got to sew up my “trail cover” and it worked great with a 1 inch rain fall and heavy winds . The interior was dry and water didn’t pool on the top being a fastback style. I did end up using a 11 oz awning material that is waterproof and a bit stiffer being it’s coated on both sides. I still have some darts to sew in the rear corners and stitch up a few areas. I learned a few things when I looked at the original like the straps . I didn’t like the idea of being sewed on and so I tried to address that by making pockets to slide webbing into so straps can be changed.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Got to sew up my “trail cover” and it worked great with a 1 inch rain fall and heavy winds . The interior was dry and water didn’t pool on the top being a fastback style. I did end up using a 11 oz awning material that is waterproof and a bit stiffer being it’s coated on both sides. I still have some darts to sew in the rear corners and stitch up a few areas. I learned a few things when I looked at the original like the straps . I didn’t like the idea of being sewed on and so I tried to address that by making pockets to slide webbing into so straps can be changed.

If you’re interested in sewing up a couple for a full top, shoot me a PM. I’ll send measurements and be your guinea pig.

broncojohn

@jeffncs I appreciate the offer and may take you up on sizing one. Sourcing materials at a lower cost will be key. I have some samples of materials coming in this week for the trail tops. My fastback top took close to 10 yards of materials plus the extra bits like webbing and hardware.

Plus I have a few small details I have to finish on mine .
One reason I made this top is love the look and convenience to toss it on quickly and keep the elements out. The trail top is a fantastic idea and super handy
My old soft top has seen its day and over 20 years old . So in the market for a white clear window soft top. I’m not a big fan of the soft tops on the market today or the ones I seen available
. I have a buddy that has a few vintage land cruiser and the top is awesome. It’s got cool hold downs clear windows and neat gutters above the doors. A lot of thought went into the tops he has on his cruisers and series rovers.

So my next project is making an early factory style softop with refined materials and details. I have a few lots of materials coming in this week to start my full softop and then will tackle some trail tops

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
@jeffncs I appreciate the offer and may take you up on sizing one. Sourcing materials at a lower cost will be key. I have some samples of materials coming in this week for the trail tops. My fastback top took close to 10 yards of materials plus the extra bits like webbing and hardware.

Plus I have a few small details I have to finish on mine .

My old soft top has seen its day and over 20 years old . So in the market for a white clear window soft top. I’m not a big fan of the soft tops on the market today or the ones I seen available
. I have a buddy that has a few vintage land cruiser and the top is awesome. It’s got cool hold downs clear windows and neat gutters above the doors. A lot of thought went into the tops he has on his cruisers and series rovers.

So my next project is making an early factory style softop with refined materials and details. I have a few lots of materials coming in this week to start my full softop and then will tackle some trail tops

Would be very interested in seeing pics of your full top, once you’ve worked out the details!

broncojohn

@LUBr LuvR I will post a picture and take some along the way just in case someone else wants to make one. I got enough material to do two tops and one might be a half cab. I’m going to copy some details from my buddies trucks and an old Witco ad. I had a 66 roadster years ago with an original top and loved the sinister look of the windows.
As an old hot rodder I had a few roadster pickups 1929 1931 and the ragtops on them were pretty basic. They also folded down and have my wheels spinning to do the same on a bronco.