• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driving a Bronco - Tips and Advice?

MerganserMaster

I'm getting to the point where I plan on taking my Bronco onto public roads soon and I am just asking for advice/tips on what to bring along (tools, parts, etc.) and also some advice on how to "drive" a Bronco in general (I heard a rumor that they have a tipping problem). I mostly plan on sticking to very rural roads for now until im more confident it wont catastrophically fail. All help is appreciated!

Contributor
What shape is your bronco in? Is it fully restored with a coyote? Or is it an original truck that’s been used? If it’s the first I’d have flat bed towing coverage, if it’s the latter I’d still have flat bed towing coverage and a basic set of tools in the back.

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

What shape is your bronco in? Is it fully restored with a coyote? Or is it an original truck that’s been used? If it’s the first I’d have flat bed towing coverage, if it’s the latter I’d still have flat bed towing coverage and a basic set of tools in the back.
It is the later, I don't plan on going more than a few miles from my house to begin with. Also, I have have a "tow bar bumper" for it that I will probably place inside so towing it can be done with any mid-size pickup (It was hauled from South Carolina to Wisconsin with it)

Contributor
Sounds like you’ll be just fine then! I’d be pro active about all maintenance considering these are ~50 year old vehicles.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Both of my broncos I carry a blue ox tow bar set up anybody can tow me home with a pick up truck . a few weeks ago I broke down in my dodge diesel water pump bearing bad, shredded belt call my insurance company USAA been with them 45 years they could not tow it the same day had to leave it in parking lot overnight It’s not gonna happen with the bronco.

Attachments

• IMG_8522.png
    IMG_8522.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
DVOM and test light. A few basic common sizes (wrenches and sockets) hand tools and screw drivers. Magnetic tail lights in case you need to tow it.

Depending on what you have recently worked on and things you are concerned about would help decide what you need.

Some others gave suggestions while I was sllloooww typing. All good information.

Have fun enjoying your bronco.

Last edited:

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
Plan your stops and leave plenty of distance between you and the car ahead.
One of the things I learned early on driving a vintage vehicle is other drivers do not care and will treat your vehicle like any other easily replaceable HondaToyotaKia stab-and-steer POS. Drive these things like you would ride a motorcycle: Head on a swivel and anticipating what the idiot next to you might do and have a plan to avoid said idiot.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I keep a small tool bag in the back. Basic wrench/sockets, wire cutters, nut driver for hose clamps and a couple of screw drivers. A couple of lengths of 14g wire with alligator clips and a couple lengths of 12g & 14g wire along with variable cotter pins. Couple feet of fuel line. Glove box has assortment of fuses, flash light, gloves, electrical and duct tape. Keep an extra qt of power steering fluid and oil tucked behind the rear quarter panels. Fire extinguisher strapped to cage and a gallon of water in a antifreeze jug. Jumper cables under front passenger seat. Of coarse a jack and lug wrench.

In 34 years never needed more than this for "road trips" and I put a LOT of miles on my Bronco both street and trail. Note that this list is for road trips and what I keep in my Bronco driving daily.
I am extremely diligent in maintaining my truck, do all the work myself and in 34 years have not had to be towed. Odds are it will happen, just hasn't happened yet. Just lucky I guess.

Plan your stops and leave plenty of distance between you and the car ahead.
Can not say this any better!

Drive these things like you would ride a motorcycle: Head on a swivel and anticipating what the idiot next to you might do and have a plan to avoid said idiot.
Best advice I've seen in a while!

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

I keep a small tool bag in the back. Basic wrench/sockets, wire cutters, nut driver for hose clamps and a couple of screw drivers. A couple of lengths of 14g wire with alligator clips and a couple lengths of 12g & 14g wire along with variable cotter pins. Couple feet of fuel line. Glove box has assortment of fuses, flash light, gloves, electrical and duct tape. Keep an extra qt of power steering fluid and oil tucked behind the rear quarter panels. Fire extinguisher strapped to cage and a gallon of water in a antifreeze jug. Jumper cables under front passenger seat. Of coarse a jack and lug wrench.

In 34 years never needed more than this for "road trips" and I put a LOT of miles on my Bronco both street and trail. Note that this list is for road trips and what I keep in my Bronco driving daily.
I am extremely diligent in maintaining my truck, do all the work myself and in 34 years have not had to be towed. Odds are it will happen, just hasn't happened yet. Just lucky I guess.

Can not say this any better!

Best advice I've seen in a while!
Thanks a bunch! I plan on throwing all of this stuff into it along with a full size spare tire (until I can find some decent 10.5x31 R15s somewhere) and following all of the advice from everyone in this thread.

OP
OP
MerganserMaster

MerganserMaster

Practice driving with one hand so you will be prepared for waving back to all the people wave and give you thumbs-up, because of the cool truck you are driving.
Ill try, this is my first manual car as well so it will definitely be a learning experience.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Thanks a bunch! I plan on throwing all of this stuff into it along with a full size spare tire (until I can find some decent 10.5x31 R15s somewhere
Always carry a spare. Hate to see anyone get towed for a flat.

And get some good tires. Lots of post on here lately with issues from bad/old tires :geek:

Gsxr7000

Contributor
Make sure you drive with both hands until you get a feel of how it wanders around on the road. Mine will make some moves sometimes, but I also need some steering component upgrades.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Make sure you drive with both hands until you get a feel of how it wanders around on the road. Mine will make some moves sometimes, but I also need some steering component upgrades.
Good tip. If you expect it to drive like your normal newish truck, well it won't and that varies depending on lift, tire size, condition of the road, but I would say drive slower than usual until you get a feel for it. I wouldnt call most broncos tippy, but some do lean a bit more.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Well, I’ve never been able to find the trunk on mine but with a little modding….?

To the original post and mention of rural roads, maybe a caution. If you have gravel covered roads in your area use caution due to the shorter wheelbase. I grew up driving on gravel and back when it was new the Bronco was my DD and yet one night I managed to “ground loop” it when I hit some loose gravel. Kept it on the road, but not a fun feeling sliding to a stop in a cloud of dust not knowing which way I was facing on the road. On the flip side I learned how to do bootlegger turns on those roads and never felt like it was prone to rolling. It wasn’t lifted to any degree and had 31“ BFG’s. Trying that on pavement or dirt migh yield different results.

Scott