• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dealer installed flares?

crab

Bronco Guru
I’ve read multiple posts over the years about dealer installed rear flares. Some say they personally had Ford install while others say ford never did that, so hoping for some proof from those that had this done. Growing up in a country farming/fishing community on the Oregon coast, I can remember seeing early Broncos with cut rear fenders and oversized tires. The EB’s were also a popular rig for launching Dory boats off the beach into the surf in my home town of Pacific City where floatation tires are a must. I’m fairly certain one of the farmers told me that he had Tillamook Ford cut and install flares at the dealer before taking possession of his many broncos he purchased from them over the years. Does anybody know for sure if this was a “dealer add on” option or done elsewhere at other dealers or just more of a “friendly small town service”?

Last edited:

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I wasn’t of driving age when early Broncos were new, but I’ve read several times over the years on this forum that dealers installed many options prior to delivery including flares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, dealers did it. I still have the invoice and window sticker of the dealer add ons including the flares on my 72

House

Contributor
Minutia Militia
Some dealers (most notably Fairway Ford in SoCal) built up and sold many Bronco build packages and would finance all of the accessories and labor as well, from just flares to throwing a whole catalog of parts on it along with custom paint… No reason to not believe a small town Oregon dealer wouldn’t add flares to make a sale. Now the people claiming they have factory installed flares and roll bars, that just plain didn’t happen unless it came through Stroppe’s facility in Long Beach…

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have some old school fiberglass rear flares still new if anyone is restoring back to period and needs them.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I remember James Duff talking about modifying new Broncos that were then placed on the show room floor. The CA dealer would do flares and upgrades and do a nice markup....same they do today.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• 72 roctoy papers .jpg
    72 roctoy papers .jpg
    140 KB · Views: 35

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember James Duff talking about modifying new Broncos that were then placed on the show room floor. The CA dealer would do flares and upgrades and do a nice markup....same they do today.
Yes a whopping $69.95 on mine!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's essentially how K Bar S got their start - modifying Broncos for dealers in the San Diego area.

Todd Z.