• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2150 Carburetor Phenolic Spacer

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
I looked to and fro for a 1 inch phenolic carburetor spacer for my 2150 2 barrel Motorcraft carburetor and have only found one, which is made for a Holley 2 barrel. The product number of this spacer at Summit Racing is Holley Carburetor Spacer 17-72. Does anyone know if this will work on my my 2150 Motorcraft using stock intake without any vacuum leaks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
I bought one for my 73 with a 2100 carb and couldn't get it to work. I was told it would work, but, maybe it's just me. When I put it on, the truck wouldn't run. I put the original EGR spacer back on (I plugged the EGR port in the intake) and the truck runs great! I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it wouldn't work for me.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Thanks for the feedback. Your results suggest I might need to reevaluate the use of a spacer. I've know my fuel is boiling, so I'll keep looking for solutions. I'll pm you later to get some details on the specific spacer. Thanks Brother.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
You say you're using the stock intake. Do you mean you're using a '74 intake? Without specifying what year the intake and carb are, it's not possible to recommend the right spacer. Once Ford started putting EGR on engines in '73, most of the associated parts changed every year.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Good point. Yes, stock 74' with capped egr situated on the rear of the intake detached from the carburetor My 2150 has the pcv port built into the rear of the carburetor. Here''s a pic of the carburetor base that the 1" phenolic spacer needs to cover without leaving vacuum gaps.

Attachments

• 20151004_095002.jpg
    20151004_095002.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 68

knack

Contributor
You can buy phenolic material in different thicknesses at industrial supply houses - I think I bought mine from MSC. Used a carb gasket to trace a pattern. Hole saws and a jig saw made quick work of the project.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I have a part number for that somewhere. I will try to remember when I get home.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 2100 in your picture answers a lot of questions. In '75 when Ford started making 2150s they had no PVC nipple. Some 2150s made after '77 did. Since your 2100 does have the PVC nipple you don't have to find a spacer with a PVC port. The big problem for you is going to be sealing the exhaust hole in the intake. A phenolic will only hold hot exhaust gases for a while before it cracks. I found that out when I tried to drill a PVC port in phenolic and went too fast. Is the exhaust hole in the carb mounting pad round or elongated. I think in '74 the hole was round. That allows you to tap it for a hex drive pipe plug screwed in below the gasket surface. Then the phonelic or plastic spacer will work. I like the mid '80s 302-351 plastic carb spacer/gasket; http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...417,fuel/air,carburetor+mounting+gasket,10024 it's only $4.91 at Rockauto and was made for the job.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Thanks jckkys.

You stated, "Is the exhaust hole in the carb mounting pad round or elongated. I think in '74 the hole was round."

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm not certain of the location of the exhaust port you are referring to. When you speak about the "pad", are you referring to the top of the intake manifold where the carb sits? If so, I need to remove the carb to check the shape and I can then post a picture to confirm.

Thanks!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
To the right,or passenger side, of the carburetor mounting surface;IE pad, there is a hole to the exhaust cross over passage. To the best of my knowledge the '73-'74s have a round aprox. 3/8" hole that lines up with the center of the throttle bore holes. In the '75-'77 EB intakes the hole was elongated measuring about 1/4" X 1" and moved back and outboard so pre EGR carb spacers don't cover or seal it. They apparently didn't want people to easily delete the EGR. Your 2100 is an easier carb to maintain and more trouble free than 2150s from later years.

OP
OP
Show Links

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
Thanks jckkys. My EGR valve, which I have eliminated and blocked is situated toward the rear of the intake manifold and is not directly adjacent to the carburetor. I've seen the manifolds you descibe which have an elongated or circular opening very close to carb base. As I recall, mine is not designed in that way, so I should be fine with the spacer. I need to pull the carb and confirm.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rob

Last edited: