• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Portal axles: Pros and Cons

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I was looking around for info about portal axles here and google but couldnt find much. I know about the Mog portals. Are there any others out there that would work? How would these work under one of our broncos? I know that they have a much lower gearing. What do you guys think about portals under a bronco? Anyone done it, besides, the mogs, they are pretty much only in tube buggies it seems, saw a few fullsize trucks. Thanks for the input

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I know Volvo makes some, but they're much harder to come by and more expensive than from 'Mogs. I've seen a couple of EBs with them. You have to take the axle gearing into account (around 6:1 at the axle I believe) and they are WAY heavy axles, so your unsprung weight would increase rather significantly.

Got to Pirate and do a search; you should find a bunch of info there.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
GJBroncoMan said:
I know Volvo makes some, but they're much harder to come by and more expensive than from 'Mogs. I've seen a couple of EBs with them. You have to take the axle gearing into account (around 6:1 at the axle I believe) and they are WAY heavy axles, so your unsprung weight would increase rather significantly.

Got to Pirate and do a search; you should find a bunch of info there.

The front is extremely difficult to fit from what I have read about it. Mainly because the oil pan gets in the way. A couple guys on POR have done it successfully though.

OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
So could you just move the front end out to help with the clearance problems. If you were going to run portals it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and stretch as well wouldnt it?

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Somebody out there makes "hum-9 portals". Basically they use the portal boxes off of the original style hummers and graft them onto a Ford 9" Best I recall They were offering both front and rear. Petersen's 4 wheel & off road did an article about them a couple years ago. I just cant remember the name of the company. Ive seen a few people on pirate make their own using portal boxes too.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
YelloTx73 said:
So could you just move the front end out to help with the clearance problems. If you were going to run portals it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and stretch as well wouldnt it?

Yeah, but you would have to have the axle completely infront of the engine and then you run into crossmember issues.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
TexasBronco said:
Well if you are all into major mods why not mount the engine back futher, or even backwards in the frame.

There's just not enough space to move it as far as it needs to go without getting into the firewall, and making it so that it's a huge pain to work on.

Mog portals are pretty bitchin. They weigh just a little more than a D60, but the killer is that the pinion is so damn long. From the yoke surface, to the rear of the diff, is about twice as long as a 9". You have to make a tall rig, and move the front axle way the hell forward to clear the oilpan. The upside to this is, since you're adding unsprung weight, it'll lower your COG, and in some instances make your rig even more stable than it was with stock type suspension.

There's a guy here in DFW that put Mog 404's on his Bronc, and stretched his wheelbase to 100". He moved the front forward a bit, and the rear back a lot. You can forget about keeping any of the factory suspension goodies under your rig if you decide to do this. 404 axles are 7.36:1 pretty commonly (IIRC), so they're geared pretty awesomely, and will twist your leaf springs into modern art. Links are where it's at.

I know of a couple of places making portal 9" axles. Sunray makes them, and Bronco Alley has made them as well. There may be others, but I know of those two. They're really bling, and will make you cry when you see the pricetag hanging off of them...

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
YelloTx73 said:
Does bronco alley have a website? I cant find it
nope, I understand that the owner just got his first cell phone a few months ago. He's pretty low tech, but an excellent craftsman and a smart man.

Call up Lance at Sunray. Yeah, they're expensive, but high zoot items don't come cheap.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have a friend out here who makes them using 9" axles and builds his own ends. he runs them on his unlimited rock crawler and has worked all the bugs out for a while now. i can dig up his info if you want. he was installing a set on a '66 last time i saw him. i think he fabbed up his own radius arms. you'd pretty much have to because of the extra torque leverage from the dropped ends. one mount point would work on the frame, but you'd need a mount on top and bottom of the axle tube like a ladder bar.