• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vinyl Flooring Kit?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Bottom line...
Vinyl flooring makes life easier.
Sure, if it were a Monte Carlo, it would certainly be carpet. But we're talking Bronco here. Colored vinyl looks good, and is easy to care for.
Mine is a Ranger, and I still think carpet was the second biggest boo boo. Right behind the goofy rear fenders.

If you buy from ACC, you can buy the color you want and you can also give specific instructions on how to make the flooring.
I like to let the front run long because some of the flooring doesn't cover the firewall insulation completely.

So again
You get what you pay for.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Just cut the rubber to conform to the round tube and cover the flat plates. If it can be made to sit relatively flat it actually looks pretty clean that way.
That was another idea. Cut a slit on the outer edge and then a round hole to fit the tube. Then velcro those sections down on top of the pads and cover them. The fenderwell pads are slightly inboard so those would look a little goofy with vinyl bulging up in the center around the tube. I might cut that section completely out around the pad and use some nice button head bolts
I like to let the front run long because some of the flooring doesn't cover the firewall insulation completely.
I was surprised how large the fenderwell panels were. Plenty of material to tuck behind the inner quarter panels, cover the gas neck panel on the drivers side and plenty to overlap the rear cargo area. I need to lay the front section in to see how much of the firewall is covered but it didn't look like there was much above the brights floor light

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
If you haven’t noticed they gave you plenty to cut or trim off. I’ve heard lead bags or sandbags work wonders.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Here are photos of the ACC/StockInteriors vinyl kit. Decided to wait until paint is done to install so its gonna sit in the box until then

jcrp0lv9f0elcyc6g.jpg

gvxb8rzuitrlvyy6g.jpg

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Updating this thread in case anyone was looking for an update. Flooring is in!

Cleaned up the front half of the tub and put more sound deadening down

C8I2clm.jpg

Got some jute padding laid down on the firewall and trans hump. I was at Home Depot looking for ideas on how to make the bed as flat as possible and found some 8' vinyl Screen Tight base trips. They fit in the bed valleys perfectly so I cut them up and glued them in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Screen-Tight-1-1-2-in-Porch-Screening-System-Base-Strip-BASE18/100065822

shgK79d.jpg

If anyone wants the 2 fenderwell pieces let me know as I did not use them.

6JKSfVR.jpg

This vinyl kit sat in the box since October 2017. We laid it out the morning of the install in 75 degree weather and it became very pliable in an hour or two. We did the sound deadening up front, jute padding, prepping and glued the rear section in on Saturday. Took about 6 hours and not much needed to be modified. The rear section was simple to install

FbHLaoT.jpg

LBxA9rA.jpg

haqSBCr.jpg

The front vinyl piece had pre-molded drops for the driver and passenger side floor. The passenger side sits farther back but because we welded the Wildhorses storage box in as a seat mount, we had to cut that section out and modify another piece to fit. I also asked Stock Interiors to let the front piece run long so we could modify it ourselves to fit. Little did I know we would spend 7 hours cutting, shaping and test fitting. I think I made over 100 cuts and here is the trash pile

FoGv6xv.jpg

Last test fit before the glue goes on

y0dtzKH.jpg

One more soak in the sun before glue. We used DAP Weldwood contact cement which has heat and water resistance. Once the glue goes on you have 15 minutes before the vinyl needs to be bonded to the floor and once they are touching it an immediate bond. It had to be done right the first time which was nerve racking around the trans tunnel. Luckily I had 2 extra sets of hands helping and we got it done

OOosopF.jpg

Really could have used an old set of encyclopedias but we made do with several household items. Yes that is a cast iron skillet under the brake pedal.

OdhNtw1.jpg

The next day we drilled all the cage/seat bolt holes and got the homemade center console frame mounted up. We installed nutserts in the bed that it bolts to and the center console bolts to nutserts in the frame

WiV5aHe.jpg

I did not find too many guys installing this vinyl flooring but the ones that did the vinyl did not lay flat and they had several air pockets. I was really hoping to avoid that but expected to have some areas that didnt want to stick down flush. Luckily the problem areas we have will be bolted down under a seat or console so Im pretty happy with the outcome. I would 100% recommend the rear piece to anyone looking for a simple way to install vinyl floor covering in the back but I dont think I would do the front install again. One of the tougher jobs I've done on a vehicle

nsXSmZP.jpg

Laid the console on the bracket and got the side panels out just to see how they looked against the black

1WWHuYS.jpg

Saturday we will be installing the roll cage, bolting the seats in and taking it for our first real drive in over 4 years

yiNT3vG.jpg

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Vinyl is going to show wrinkles and bulges more than carpeting.
I wouldn't install either without a heat gun to smooth the stuff out.

chuckyb

Contributor
Great thread...thanks for all the pics and details. My first choice would be an OEM type front mat, but a matching back one does not seem to be available. I may go this route. Congratulations with the build and enjoy the ride!

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JefeAZ, yer knockin' it right out of the park! Very striking color choices!

BRONCOBERT

I installed this same vinyl kit a few years back but my kit is grey.
Did not glue it because its covering up a ton of stereo wires that I may need to get at. Also mine seems longer as it overlapped from the front section to the rear section, which was good so as not to have the trim molding dividing the two sections.
Installed mine with cage already in place so that made it that much more difficult.
Noticed you cut up the tailgate section, wondering where you installed that cut piece?

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Looks great! I really like that center console. Where did you get that?
Its a Rampage 31517 console but I had it custom upholstered in old whiskey allegro vinyl
Noticed you cut up the tailgate section, wondering where you installed that cut piece?
Good eye! I wound up cutting a piece off of that to put on the Wildhorses seat box since it was perfectly square. Saved me a bunch of time!

Broncobuc

Updating this thread in case anyone was looking for an update. Flooring is in!

Cleaned up the front half of the tub and put more sound deadening down

C8I2clm.jpg

Got some jute padding laid down on the firewall and trans hump. I was at Home Depot looking for ideas on how to make the bed as flat as possible and found some 8' vinyl Screen Tight base trips. They fit in the bed valleys perfectly so I cut them up and glued them in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Screen-Tight-1-1-2-in-Porch-Screening-System-Base-Strip-BASE18/100065822

shgK79d.jpg

If anyone wants the 2 fenderwell pieces let me know as I did not use them.

6JKSfVR.jpg

This vinyl kit sat in the box since October 2017. We laid it out the morning of the install in 75 degree weather and it became very pliable in an hour or two. We did the sound deadening up front, jute padding, prepping and glued the rear section in on Saturday. Took about 6 hours and not much needed to be modified. The rear section was simple to install

FbHLaoT.jpg

LBxA9rA.jpg

haqSBCr.jpg

The front vinyl piece had pre-molded drops for the driver and passenger side floor. The passenger side sits farther back but because we welded the Wildhorses storage box in as a seat mount, we had to cut that section out and modify another piece to fit. I also asked Stock Interiors to let the front piece run long so we could modify it ourselves to fit. Little did I know we would spend 7 hours cutting, shaping and test fitting. I think I made over 100 cuts and here is the trash pile

FoGv6xv.jpg

Last test fit before the glue goes on

y0dtzKH.jpg

One more soak in the sun before glue. We used DAP Weldwood contact cement which has heat and water resistance. Once the glue goes on you have 15 minutes before the vinyl needs to be bonded to the floor and once they are touching it an immediate bond. It had to be done right the first time which was nerve racking around the trans tunnel. Luckily I had 2 extra sets of hands helping and we got it done

OOosopF.jpg

Really could have used an old set of encyclopedias but we made do with several household items. Yes that is a cast iron skillet under the brake pedal.

OdhNtw1.jpg

The next day we drilled all the cage/seat bolt holes and got the homemade center console frame mounted up. We installed nutserts in the bed that it bolts to and the center console bolts to nutserts in the frame

WiV5aHe.jpg

I did not find too many guys installing this vinyl flooring but the ones that did the vinyl did not lay flat and they had several air pockets. I was really hoping to avoid that but expected to have some areas that didnt want to stick down flush. Luckily the problem areas we have will be bolted down under a seat or console so Im pretty happy with the outcome. I would 100% recommend the rear piece to anyone looking for a simple way to install vinyl floor covering in the back but I dont think I would do the front install again. One of the tougher jobs I've done on a vehicle

nsXSmZP.jpg

Laid the console on the bracket and got the side panels out just to see how they looked against the black

1WWHuYS.jpg

Saturday we will be installing the roll cage, bolting the seats in and taking it for our first real drive in over 4 years

yiNT3vG.jpg

I like your console. Where did you get it?

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I like your console. Where did you get it?
Its a Rampage 31517 that I had custom upholstered. Amazon was the cheapest but 4WheelParts can get it
That turned out great, nice job.
What floor mats are those?
Thanks! A month and a half later Im still glad I did it and its sticking down very well. Im going to add some trim hold downs for the edges just in case though

Floormats are WeatherTech universal mats. Just take some scissors to them and trim where you want

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Just installed my flooring. Its cold here so it was not very flexible. I had the propane heater on high. Overall I like it. I still need to trim a little closer on the edges. Definitely an install I wish I had done during the build.

Attachments

• side3.jpg
    side3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 122
  • back3.jpg
    back3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 132