• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another center console build!

mini73

Well its the second time that I'm doing this. The first one I made was out of metal and was ok but got tired of reaching over to shift my winters shifter. I just dealt with it but inside, it's been bugging me. This time I am making it out of fiberglass. Fiberglass is messy but I can cut the holes and other things easier than cutting out circles in the metal. Started by making a template out of cardboard. When I was finally happy with the design ( after a lot of different ideas) I transferred them to mdf. Made a skeleton and then started to do the fiberglass. Still got some more filler and sanding to do before I paint it be done with it. Going to get a switch 6 switch panel and maybe mount it right in front of the shifter. Also might try to transfer the light, wiper and ignition switch somewhere on the console also. Got to make some more room for the other gauges I plan on getting and installing in the dash. Also got to get the twin stick to replace the factory j shifter. What do y'all think of the pics? I don't claim to be good with fiberglass but I like doing most all the things on the bronco myself even if it takes me awhile. More to come!
c71ae417fd84fd8865b3a022a303eb70.jpg
5748927ce4c4bdcf901a956249d7495d.jpg
df35cdc66e9063ef297625d3e843aeef.jpg

Last edited:

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Looks good to me. Building a custom center console is not the easiest thing to do. Lots of stuff to consider depending on how you want it to look. ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Well nowhere near the shape of mine.. But I too made mine from an oil box & duck tape .. then fiber glassed inside & outside. After it was finished & glassed into place . I sprayed it with Black bed liner ...
... I also went to the wrecking yard pick & pull . got a 2 cup holder . added in in the console .
... I've even cut mine out twice to work on the transfer case shifters. Then fiber glassed it back into place.
... In my opinion it's the only way to go .. as each of us customize our Broncos to fit our own personalitys .. WE CAN MAKE THEM WORK FOR US

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Thanks. I wanted to move the shifter closer to me but also I did not want to lose my stereo in the tuffy box. The tuffy box got moved back some but it looks like I will still be able to comfortably get the the steep controls while driving. I am planning on putting a cup holder or 2 also. I'm going to most likely spray it with black bed liner also. Just got to finish finish added some more bondo and sanding. Also got to drill another hole for the shifter linkage as the first hole is not far enough back to come to the shifter from the backside.

o2bnmud

I did the one in my wife's 76 a combo of wood and fiberglass, it bolts/screws together in 4 pieces.