• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1330 driveshaft HD spline fix

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well..at least I hope its the fix. Prolly will just mean something else goes next. Long story short, the torque-monster 408 Cleveland in my '69 keeps wringing off the the spline stub on the rear driveshaft, like this:

DSC00862.JPG

I was debating the upgrade of the entire shebang to 1350 or even bigger so that I could get a larger diameter spline, but then I found a neat extreme-travel tail-spline kit that I'm sure will at least fix the broken spline stub problem. The new setup is shown next to the standard 1330 x 2.5" spline and slip-yoke stuff below:

extreme%20spline.JPG

It's a 'backwards' design..the spline travels in to the driveshaft tube and is connected directly to the rear yoke, instead of the rear yoke being a slip yoke and the spline stub being welded to the drive shaft tubing. Pretty beefy, eh?

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Looks almost like what I have except....2 times bigger and backwards :eek:

What's the next weak link?

Last edited:

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Noticed a little mud on your old driveshaft. Is it recommended for offroad use?
What keeps the mud and water out of the driveshaft or how does the water get out if it does get in? You might get stuck in a deep puddle some day and fill up the driveshaft tube. If the water can't get out you might have a rust problem both on the splined shaft and the inside of the driveshaft tube.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
72Sport said:
Noticed a little mud on your old driveshaft. Is it recommended for offroad use?
What keeps the mud and water out of the driveshaft or how does the water get out if it does get in? You might get stuck in a deep puddle some day and fill up the driveshaft tube. If the water can't get out you might have a rust problem both on the splined shaft and the inside of the driveshaft tube.

A little mud?..where on earth did THAT come from?;D
The knurled section on that extreme-travel thing is the threaded on seal holder/gland nut..it uses an elastic seal element that matches the splines. I'm sure that it will not be nearly as effective as the stock seal since the stock design has the seal working on the smooth shaft of the stub, not the spline. No worries..this rig sees all of its time on trails and I figger that its very easy to simply unbolt the rear u-joint from time to time and slip the spline part out of the rest of the driveshaft for easy cleaning. Which, of course, I will never do.:p

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh..and those were recently introduced just FOR off-road use and the results have been good so far..at least in terms of holding up to abuse.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mr Joe said:
Looks almost like what I have except....2 times bigger and backwards :eek:

What's the next weak link?

Dunno, Joe. We could start a pool...:-*

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
The more I look at it, the better I like it. You'd never use up all that travel. Where did you find that?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like my brother's front shaft from Jesse at High-Angle Driveline although his is set up with Toyota flanges. Another advantage is that if you have clearance issues due to the diameter of your shaft, the solid splined shaft is slightly smaller although about 10X heavier.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mr Joe said:
The more I look at it, the better I like it. You'd never use up all that travel. Where did you find that?

Effective travel is 12"..;D
I found it lying in one of my piles of junk out behind the shop..:p

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
Where did you get those new pieces?

OK..since it's you asking and not Mr. Joe...I'll fess up.;D

We are an OEM account with Rockford Driveline..those are a relatively new product that their high-performance division came up with. I'm pretty sure they sell direct..if not, then let me know and I'll get one or more for ya..
http://www.rockforddriveline.com/

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fixed the busted one first. It's sitting next to the udder one that still shows the signs of having the end replaced after I broke it at Big Dogs a couple weeks ago..BIG difference..
P1010202.JPG

72Sport

Bronco Guru
It might be a candidate for a full bellows over the splined area. I have seen some stock driveshafts that have them.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bingo..you read my mind. It has that flat area past the seal and the other on the dif yoke...for reasons I don't understand they are not the same diameter..but I have a large collection of shock boots that are about to undergo some experimental surgery..;D

72Sport

Bronco Guru
You might look at the McMasterCarr website. They may have something that will work.