• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 to 200 cid swap 66 Bronco 3 speed - Help

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I want to replace a non running 170 with a running 200 out of a 67 Mustang auto. I'm wondering if I can use the flywheel, clutch, starter and bell housing on the 170, or do I need additional parts.

Also, I'm considering using the C4 auto that's already mated to the 200. If I go that route, will I need anything else to mate it up other than the c4 to dana 20 adapter? What will I have to do to the driveshafts and crossmember? for the record, I have 4.56 gears, and plan on running 30 or 31" narrow tires.

On another note.... Is there a 5 speed swap that would work with the Dana 20 and the 200? This will be a light duty driver with an occasional fire road trailing, and plowing my own driveway in the winter.

I tried searching with no luck, so sorry if this is a covered subject.

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
We put a 68 mustang 200 cid into Running Buddies 66 Bronco .. I don't remember what flywheel we used but I'd say it was the 66 .. Later we put a Np435 4 speed into it .

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I've never done it I believe you can use the 170 flywheel, bellhousing, ect on the 200.
Any transmission swap will also require crossmember and driveshaft mods. As the 6cyl setup is shorter and the only adapters out there are for V8 versions which are longer. A few guys have done the C4 swap they will probably chime in. I think at least one 5speed swap has been done but I dont know what the final outcome was on that. IMO I dont think a 5sp swap would be very useful behind the 200 as it just doesnt have the power you'd be shifting in and out of OD a lot trying to maintain speed.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
As already stated, you can reuse the 170ci parts. The only C4 swap I personally know of actually done and on the road is cascadejohnson's with the help of Viperwolf1. The 4:56 gears you have, should help with the parasitic loss of adding a C4. These little engines can't stand to lose any of their already limited power.

Crimson66

Loc.
Olive Branch, Ms.
shake

The 66 I bought the previous owner swapped the 170 for a 250 and left stock 3 speed. At high rpm's it would start to shake or vibrate. We narrowed it down to the flywheel. So I'm putting in a 302 with C4.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
The 66 I bought the previous owner swapped the 170 for a 250 and left stock 3 speed. At high rpm's it would start to shake or vibrate. We narrowed it down to the flywheel. So I'm putting in a 302 with C4.

250ci is a different ball game all together. It uses the reg small block low mount starter bell housing and there is more room for mistakes in using the wrong flywheel.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
As already stated, you can reuse the 170ci parts. The only C4 swap I personally know of actually done and on the road is cascadejohnson's with the help of Viperwolf1. The 4:56 gears you have, should help with the parasitic loss of adding a C4. These little engines can't stand to lose any of their already limited power.

Thank you. I guess I'm sticking the manual transmission. To do the C4/200properly, The trans will need a rebuild PLUS the $400 adapter, crossmember moved, and maybe driveshaft attention. It also requires throttle linkage fabbing, and a kickdown cable.

Thanks!

so.oregon66

Loc.
Medford, OR
I just fired up my '66 a few days ago after making the 170 to 200 swap. yes you can reuse the clutch (but if it's at all worn, you might as well eat the $200 and just get a new one). Starter - yes, but check for wear on the gear teeth inside. Flywheel - yes, though you probably ought to have it resurfaced. Probably ought to replace the geared starter ring thing (sorry, don't know the technical term there) around the flywheel if there's any wear on it......if you have a torch you can heat it up and do it yourself, just heat up the old one to pop it off and heat up the new one to expand and it'll drop on. With the new clutch, I did have to do a little grinding inside the bellhousing but there were instructions in the clutch that came from TBP. You'll need a new fuel pump, as the arm that articulates inside the 200 is a different length and at a different angle than the 170. I say stick with the transmission that's in there if you're wanting to keep it simple. Most other things can be reused from the 170 (carb, distributor, etc.).

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you will probably have to swap the oil pan also. I just pulled a 200 from a 68 falcon Saturday to replace my wornout 170 and the hump on the pan is in the front so it has to be swap with the 170 bronco pan.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
The C4 200 swap is not to bad. It took me a while to get mine together because I did a lot of other thinks along the way (Painting engine bay and dash, undoing 45 years of half assed wiring etc.) I did enlist the assistance of Viperwolf for the Transmission rebuild and about 10,000 other questions. Most of my time was consumed with figuring out the small details because I was unable to find anyone else who had done the swap and had first hand experience with the swap. You mentioned having to fab throttle linkage, Its not really necessary if you use your Bronco carb. I had to do it because the carb I used was from a 69 250 six. The Bronco carb is different from the mustang carb because the Mustang accelerator is pulled down to accelerate with mechanical linkage where the Bronco uses a cable that pulls the accelerator across the top of the valve cover towards the drivers side to accelerate. I used stock kick down linkage from an 81 Fairmont to keep it looking pretty stock but a kick down cable would work as well. You can't use the Mustank kick down linkage because it mounts across the back of the engine on top of the bell housing and there is not enough clearance at the Firewall in the Bronco to make it work. If you decide to do it, I can certainly pass along what i have done and maybe save you a few headaches.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Resurrecting to ask if anyone has done a 250 swap into a 170 engined 66 bronco with 3spd manual/d20? How?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should just no problem at all the transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern is the same. doesnt matter if you had a 6cyl or v8 transmission both bolt up.