• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966-1967 and 1967-1977 Bumper Changeover

House

Minutia Militia
Starting a new thread here to see if we can narrow down the bumper changeover a little.
Please chime in with build dates and bumper style your Bronco came with from the factory.
If you can't verify what it came with please keep your comments to yourself,
as I don't care if your '66 came with new chrome bumpers from JCWhitney, sorry. ;D

I will try to keep this updated with the latest early style and the earliest late style unless it turns whacky like the P's and Q's thread.
As of now I do know this:

U13NLA45xxx - 11/30/66 - Old Style White
U1xxLA56001 ----------------------Literature Cutoff
U15NLA560xx - 12/xx/66 - Old Style White
U13NLA63564 - 12/xx/66 - Old Style White
------------------------------------------------- Cutoff
U13NLB31xxx - 05/24/67 - New Style White

Last edited:
OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Not sure if this will become a factor or not, but there was also an option for chrome
that may or may not have the same changeover date. It would not surprise me a bit
to find the cutover for chrome to be earlier or later than white, depending on FoMoCo inventory levels.
Just for reference:
U15NLA17xxx - 09/17/66 - Old Style Chrome

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Should be interesting, I've had several 67's over the years with 66 items. Bumpers and Budd co tailgates were on several early production 67's. I would assume Ford used up the remaining 66 items on the early production 67's.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
On my sept. 66 Budd built, the bumpers are long gone, but I was able to talk with the second owner who owned it from 1968-2015. He said it came with chrome bumpers, and bucket seats.

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
A great survey, House. I'll be watching with interest!

Thanks, me too! :)

Should be interesting, I've had several 67's over the years with 66 items. Bumpers and Budd co tailgates were on several early production 67's. I would assume Ford used up the remaining 66 items on the early production 67's.

I agree, I was hoping you may be able to chime in with some data also.
I would consider my May built to be late 67, as it has the late bumpers
but the early tailgate... That's a lot of overrun.

On my sept. 66 Budd built, the bumpers are long gone, but I was able to talk with the second owner who owned it from 1968-2015. He said it came with chrome bumpers, and bucket seats.

Yes, chrome was definitely an option. As were the bumper guards.
I would naturally assume yours would have had the early style bumpers.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D May of 66 has the tapered type in paint. I replaced them with chrome in 72 got them from ford and they have a C6# on them. :cool::cool::cool: Bill :cool::D

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Ok in my yard now U13NLA63564 original Michigan plow rig from the original owner. Don't know what tailgate was on it because it was MIA long before he pulled it out of his forest 😲 yea Michigan bronco, December build

image_zpswlknpxli.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsvzm9uac8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpstf77aw2b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Updated, thanks Tom.

Side bar hijack, nice 1967 poppy red v8 roadster!
Now we know where at least 3 of the 32 are! ;)

gray gables

i have to check my build date on my marti report but I know my bronco was ordered with chrome bumpers. Also looking thru my photos of when I first bought it still had the front bumper in chrome. It was in the old style also. I wish someone would manufacture these for us guys that wanted the original style ones.

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Well, here is a nice little tidbit of information I found in some factory literature,
unfortunately we seem to have already proved it wrong... %)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 64