• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 289 water pump questions

jnirenstein

Contributor
Hi guys,
I'm "upgrading" my 1966 170 to a "date correct" 289. The motor I sourced had a crappy dead aftermarket water pump. I'm wondering if the Bronco had an aluminum h2o pump or cast iron? Did it have a shorter "nose" or will a standard mustang/falcon pump work? Anybody know of what would've been a "correct" casting number for an original pump in case I want to hunt one down? Thanks for the help!! And YES I am keeping the original 170 in case some future owner wants to put it back in!

tsang

I've been redoing the front end of a 289 these last few months and pulled off the original water pump. It's cast iron. Is the pulley/spacer mount the nose? I'm not sure what the nose of a water pump is, or what you're trying to compare the OEM water pump to -- like as compared to the mustang/falcon pump? The casting number is 08AE-J on mine.
dtEm6XV.jpg

OP
OP
jnirenstein

jnirenstein

Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply and pic!! The 08AE is likely a "C8" meaning 1968. When I refer to the nose I mean roughly the length from where the stamping# is to the tip of the pulley mount. Since the engine compartment is so small I was wondering If a Bronco had a shorter (BRONCO ONLY) water pump so the fan wouldn't hit the radiator. Thanks!!

tsang

You're correct. I brushed some gunk off the stamping number, it's a C8 I can't answer how this pump compares to other pumps from the different ford models, but from the stamping number to the pulley mount it's 3" and another 1/2" to the end of the nipple.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The '68 289/302 water pumps were the same fitment regardless of what vehicle they were supplied in. There are aluminum versions in 289 HiPos and from the after market. They all work. I use a FloCooler in my 351. It would work as well in your 289.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The '68 289/302 water pumps were the same fitment regardless of what vehicle they were supplied in. There are aluminum versions in 289 HiPos and from the after market. They all work. I use a FloCooler in my 351. It would work as well in your 289. A truly anal restorer may care about the casting number, but 54 yr. old water pumps aren't often expected to be any good and I don't think anyone rebuilds them.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the only changes in the water pump on broncos was when Ford went to the motors with smog pumps on the 302. they went with a heavy cast alternator / smog pump mount which changed the pulley offsets this started in 1974 and ended in 1977. the difference is the length of the snout by 3/16 inch longer to accommodate the pulley change. hard pump to find when you need it. on a trail fix I had to use the shorter 289/302 standard water pump and space out the fan with washers to get home.