• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 bronco 289 V8 with 3speed to auto or ??

Iwannagofast

Contributor
Hey guys so i have always had my 77 bronco so I have never had to research about anything else. I recently just bought a 66 bronco that has been modified a little bit. It has no power steering or disc breaks..real basic. But it does have a 289 V8 in it with a 3 speed. I was curious what my options are but also a nice set up. if I went manual again I wouldn't want to have only a 3 speed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Jakedog

I really liked my 75 with the c4, and I told myself that the next bronco would also have an auto. Well, this current bronco has an NP435 with a gear banger, and I like it. Its been fun shifting gears again (I haven't had a manual transmission since my 94 ranger 4x4 ). It took a little getting used to shifting slower than normal. My 435 doesn't like to be shifted fast.
I have learned in the last couple of years that driving a manual transmission is kind of a dying art for the current generation. Almost all cars these days come with an auto as standard equipment. With my twin stick transfer case and 4speed tranny I almost don't need a kill switch.

tommyg

Contributor
Mine came with a 3 speed manual, I swapped it out for an nv3550 5 speed. Something about driving this thing makes me want to shift gears...to me it's a fun part of the experience. 5 speed is leaps and bounds beyond the 3, but I actually enjoyed shifting it on the column...i do miss that.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Hmm - no opinion on auto vs manual but if i was going to the trouble and cost of swapping a factory 3 spd to an auto i would make sure the auto had at least 4 gears.

House

Minutia Militia
If you don't need a granny gear or an overdrive nothing beats a top loader 4 speed...!

bmbm

vote for NV3550

For a manual trans the NV3550 is great. Shifts well and the ratios are good for my gears and tire size.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
I have run a 289 HO from a '66 mustang and the original 3.03 3spd in my '73 for the past 30 yrs. I rebuilt the 3spd putting new syncros in it and custom made shifting linkage to use a Hurst indy 3 spd shifter. I mounted the shifter over to the center unlike the after market kits that crowded my long legs. I resurfaced the flywheel and put in a "gorilla" clutch along with freshening up the motor at the same time. Knock on wood, but I have driven and wheeled the crap out of this combo for many years and still enjoy getting in it and shifting the gears, I have a '86 roller HO 5.0 with a manual flywheel waiting in the wings for a update with a 5spd. The little 289 has done well but puffs a little oil from time to time now.....could just be the 30 yr old valve stem seals. Nothing wrong with this combo but intend to update when ever the time comes.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,
I also have a 66 with 302 with a NV3550 behind it and I love driving it! To me if feels like driving one of those old boxy 5.0 Mustangs. Previously I had a rebuilt 3 speed with the Hurst floor shifter, it was good but the shifter got in the way since it sat over to the left of the tunnel. The NV3550 shifter sits in the middle but you will need to change your body mounts to a 1" body mount and it will fit like it was made for it.
Good luck and enjoy!